Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. labiatus male

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a P. labiatus that people on the site have repeatedly identified as female (I think because of her white patches?) Can someone confirm that? Right now, she's in a 20 gallon tank with lots of vegetation and hides, and the pet store has about 10 P. labiatus in stock that aren't really selling. I was thinking if there was a pretty easy way to pick out a male I might give it a shot, if people think that the 20 gallon is big enough for two. Opinions please?

keechoo

Reaction score
Re: P. labiatus male? (basic level question)

If there are white patches by its tail then she is a he. I think a 20 gallon would be okay as long as you have lots of hides. Mix up the surroundings before you add another that way the original won't be as territorial. Two more things: 1 - feed individually in their own territory to eliminate some fighting (I do it with mine so during feeding time they leave each other alone.). 2 - watch for any sign of aggression and separate.

Hope I helped a little.

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score

hi,
white patches on the tail are a definite sign that it is a male. therefore look for a female! the females dont have white patches although neither do immature males. 20 gallons is definitaly enough for two or three but no more.

Blackhawk

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• slimysm.JPG
    slimysm.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 677

keechoo

Reaction score

Still looks like a girl to me.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The ones at the petstore are young. Some seem to have a longer vent slit than others. Can that help me tell their sex at that stage?

keechoo

Reaction score

Sorry, not sure. How long is yours? Do you know how old she is?

audrey

Reaction score

I have found that sexing paddletails can be difficult.
Slender young ones can be very hard to distinguish. Like you mentioned, it appears that they just have a slit, it may be that the male's is slightly more towards the tail and the females is smaller and closer to the body but even that is mostly a guess.
Both males and females are vigorous eaters and will become very robust.
Once they are mature and in mating season, it becomes very simple, the male's cloaca is large and there are white spots on the tail and the female is pear shaped with a small cloaca.
As I am sure you know, if you have a mature female, adding a young male may end in fighting rather than mating, best to wait until he is larger and your temps are much cooler.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry, not sure. How long is yours? Do you know how old she is?

She herself is quite large and I've had her over two years, she was small when I got her.
If you mean how long is her slit, she's hiding today so I can't find her to look, I don't want to stir the whole tank up because, she's a good hider.
I'm still on the fence about the male/mate thing.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about luck!

So I decided to go ahead and get Slimy a mate. I read about it, thought about it, and decided to give it my best guess. I got a small paddletail from the ones at the pet store in June. My guess involved choosing a "scruffy" looking one in case it would be indeed a boy and she would go for that "bohemian" look. After he beefed up a bit, I put them together.
I hoped he was a male, named him "Soldier," and warned him he was entering a potential war zone.
All this time, no missing digits. I'd rearranged the tank first and made sure there were plenty of hides and vegetation. They seem to get along OK though I was never sure if I had a chosen a male...until today.

Attachments

• Soldier (1)sm.JPG
    Soldier (1)sm.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 2,840
  • Soldier (2)sm.JPG
    Soldier (2)sm.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 378
  • SoldierWsm.JPG
    SoldierWsm.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Soldiersm.JPG
    Soldiersm.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 449
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1