Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. Waltl 20L or 20H?

JackyBlu

Reaction score
Pretty much what it says in the title. I'm finally able to purchase a tank for my future P. waltl, and I'm thinking a 20 gallon is my best bet. Do people generally prefer long or high? Does one work better than the other?

rijnbrand

Reaction score
I would wait for a Petco 1 for 1$ sale and get a 40B, I think the 20g tanks are around $30, for $10 more you get a lot more surface area. Depth of the tank is not as important (in my opinion)

otolith

Reaction score
Long will give them a larger footprint to explore. In my experience the additional depth is rarely used, the newts will spend most of their time on the bottom.

rijnbrand

Reaction score
sale is on going right now till August 7th or so, they have 20 and 29g tanks on sale as well

JackyBlu

Reaction score
Awesome. I mostly asked cause I knew the sale was going on and wanted to go ahead with it before the next herp expo here. I was going for the 20L but my Petco was sold out, so I went ahead with the 29 gallon with little persuasion lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1