Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachytriton natural habitat

M

mark

I have come across a few sources that differ in the natrual habitat of Pachytriton. The only factor the two accounts had in common were cold clear water. However, those were the only similarities. One account went on to state that Pachys live in deep pools, while the other said they live in shallow fast moving streams. My guess is that animals in certain areas have changed to fit the habitat, some Pachys adapted to living in deeper pools, due to the lack of their natural fast moving streams anywhere close by. What are your thoughts on Pachys natural habitats? What are your experiences in keeping them if you have?

M

mark

it was a topic on Kingsnake a while ago, you could find it in the archives

N

nimbus2

I remember that thread on kingsnake...a guy posted something along the lines of "What is Pachytriton habitat like?" which seemed to be an earnest plea for information. A few days later, the same person posted again, stating he had actually been there and proceeded to describe the habitat as deep calm pools in a river. Seemed pretty odd to me that one day he knows nothing and the next he remembered everything. Personally Mark, I think you should take that particular post with a healthy dose of skepticism, given the circumstances. Robert Thorn, in his book "The Salamanders of Europe, Asia, and North Africa" describes the habitat as rocky creeks, streams, and small rivers. I'll make a serious effort to dig up some specific habitat info in some journals and let you know when/if I find something definitive.

J

jens

Hi all!

According to what I read about Pachys (i.e. in THIESMEIER's article in the German "Reptilia" journal in 2000), they live in fast streaming mountain- streems and rivers!

Greetings,
Jens

The Caudates- Website

thera

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hey nimbus2 & jens:

nim- is that book still in print?

jen- you know where I can find a copy of that article on-line at all ?? I don't have the resources to get it at the local university library.

N

nimbus2

yes, I think the book is still in print, but is in French.
You'll have to translate.

J

jens

Hi Thera,

no, I think there's no copy of it online. You could mail to Burkhard Thiesmeier, who's the author of the article and the chairman of the German Workgroup Urodela.

BTW, I obtained a pair of Pachytriton labiatus from Henk Wallays last fall (on the Urodela Workgroup's annular meeting) and I will try to breed them this year - fortunately, I was able to get numerous articles from THIESMEIER about how to breed them \o/ ... I will inform you when the first Pachys are hatched ;-)))!

Greetings,
Jens

The Caudates- Website

C

chris

Jens could you e-mail me some of the Theismer articles on breeding pachytriton. Also, i have two pachys. One is definately male - tail spots and cloacal tubercals. The other i am not sure. It has a raised cloaca, but not as large and is a slightly diferent shape to the male's. It is also much smaller, but they are cb in the same year.
Have you got any ideas as to what gender it is?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1