Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pacing axolotl

Ally_pru

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this pacing behavior is normal? I attached a video. She’s been doing this for about an hour. She just moved into her fully cycled tank about 2 days ago. Parameters are Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate:10ppm Ph: 6.8. The other axolotl in the tank is perfectly fine. Neither have curled gills. Thank in advance!

WordsOfFate

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any hides in the tank for her to get away from light so that might be why she's pacing; she's looking for a way to find some shelter. I would highly recommend adding some form of hide in that tank for her. That tank also looks rather small for how big she is. How many gallons is your tank? I always recommend at least a 20-gallon tank for a fully grown axolotl.

Ally_pru

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any hides in the tank for her to get away from light so that might be why she's pacing; she's looking for a way to find some shelter. I would highly recommend adding some form of hide in that tank for her. That tank also looks rather small for how big she is. How many gallons is your tank? I always recommend at least a 20-gallon tank for a fully grown axolotl.
There are multiple hides in the tank. This is just the corner of the tank

Murk

Reaction score
Is the pacing still going on?
A few hours I wouldn't say is a problem at all - but if she's been doing it for a week, yeah, something's wrong.

Ally_pru

Reaction score
Is the pacing still going on?
A few hours I wouldn't say is a problem at all - but if she's been doing it for a week, yeah, something's wrong.
She does it for a few hours every couple days

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!