Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddletail or Firebelly.

Erinony

Reaction score
Hello everyone

A friend of mine was under the impression that the newt she bought for her son 11 years ago was an "American Firebelly Newt" as that is what the pet shop told her. After seeing it I assured her it was not. I know pet shops mess up the species listing frequently. I'm thinking definitely paddletail of some sort? What do you all think?

Attachments

• 1800302_10152216039122556_1190023753_n.jpg
    1800302_10152216039122556_1190023753_n.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 357

FrogEyes

Reaction score
It's a warty newt, Paramesotriton sp. I've had one which was similar, and seen a photo of another which was reliably identified as Paramesotriton longliensis I think. I will refrain from offering a species ID at the moment however, without first reviewing the possibilities. Nice newt - I can think of a couple people who would gladly take it off your hands!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Actually i´ve seen the useless term "firebelly" applied to Taricha, so technically, yes there is xD

There can be no doubt it is a Paramesotriton sp. but that´s as far as i could possibly dream to go.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Azhael's spot on, when the steady flow of C. pyrrhogaster dried up in the late '80s I saw Taricha for sale in UK pet shops labeled as American fire bellies! They were 8 times the price of Cynops though.

Niels D

Reaction score
Whaha. This reminds me of the topic about real scientific names which were probably given by scientists playing too much Dungeons and Dragons and reading/watching too much horror.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, that´s way better than some of the alternatives....i´ll take a nerdy scientific name like Oedipina complex over an aberration like Carmenelectra shechisme or La cerveza.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!