Paedomorphic C. ensicauda

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
17842.jpg

I don't think so as the gills have been around the same size for months and months. Let me rephrase that...I hope not!
biggrin.gif

Compare with this shot from March:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/13676.jpg

In a month, it'll be a year old!

(Message edited by TJ on July 09, 2004)

though i highly doubt it, you might have a paedomorph on youre hands tim.

I'm with Tim - I don't think it's metamorphosing because the head shape shows no sign of becoming like pre-metamorph shape.

Thanks for the moral support John
lol.gif

I said before that it might have hit 10cm by now but it still seems a tad short of the mark. I'd guess 9.5cm if it's lined up perfectly straight. The next round of beer is on me once it hits 10cm!

18079.jpg

Here it is as of today, and I'll bet it's at 10cm
biggrin.gif

21678.jpg

Here it is again:

22429.jpg

has it morphed yet?cuz if it really is a paedomorph it would be cool to figure out it is is facultative or genetic(obligate)if its and obligate you migth be able to breed it and possibly start youre own strain of paedomorphic animals.

That pic above that was posted on Sept. 4 was taken on Sept. 4 so no worries on that score.

I'd love to have my own strain: Cynops ensicauda popei timi
lol.gif

The gills do look shorter, but it could be the angle. Then again, looking at that face, it still looks very larval like.

Somebody said something before about the gills looking shorter -- and that was over 6 months ago! No, I don't think it's on the verge of morphing any time soon, if ever.

hey tim jsut checking up on the larva that never morphed, did it ever morph?

We need to know when/if it enters breeding condition.

It looks to be the size of an average C. o now?

Hehe, an average orientalis is like what? 8cm?
This guy was 10cm two months ago!
Cheers Tim!

Spit out some pics of it now!
biggrin.gif

I'ld say the average male was 8 cm and the average female was 10cm, but of coarse there are large males and small females.

well i think its safe to say that you have youre own strain tim, well atleast untill it breeds.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back