Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton chinensis eggs

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today is feeding day, and guess who I caught laying eggs? This is a new species for me; I've never raised them before. I bought them 1 1/2 or 2 years ago (don't remember exactly) at the petstore when they arrived; I hadn't seen this species offered for sale for a while, and was thrilled that they turned out to be male and female. And now I'm even more thrilled! Their names are "Beauty" and "the Beast," here is Beauty with her burgeoning brood:

I will be following their progress in this thread.
Just for the sake of completeness, here is another recent mention of this magnificent pair:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...t-curiosity-question-handling.html#post205899

Attachments

• Pchinensis eggs (1)sm.JPG
    Pchinensis eggs (1)sm.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Pchinensis eggs (2)sm.JPG
    Pchinensis eggs (2)sm.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,200
  • Pchinensis eggssm.JPG
    Pchinensis eggssm.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:

freves

Reaction score
Congratulations Dawn. The tail of one of my males has turned blue but I have not noticed any signs of courtship yet.
Chip

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nice!
P.chinensis is not commonly bred in captivity, so this is good news n_n
Best of lucks raising them, Dawn, the larvae sure are cute!!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
P.chinensis is not commonly bred in captivity
I know! Though I believe Audrey did it last year. But when I bought them, I was hoping for this, because their scarcity in the pet stores as of late made me think they were dwindling in the wild.

PereJosa

Reaction score
Congratulations otterwoman!! thanks for post eggs photos ( no more pictures of this newt's eggs).

I have one pair, not breed at the moment, the male show blue tail, and courtship behaviour in different moments of the year, but one week ago for first time i see one amplexus :eek::eek:. This day's i look for eggs, but at the moment anything....

Bye!!

Yahilles

Reaction score
Congratulations!

i see one amplexus
But there are no amplexus in Paramesotriton... but as i remember, on Paul's photo Azhael mistakened P. deloustali biting with amplexus similiar to that occuring in breeding Calotriton.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone who raised them in the past has some tips, I have some questions, like:
do they have a terrestrial phase or can they be raised completely aquatically to adult?

Yahilles

Reaction score
do they have a terrestrial phase or can they be raised completely aquatically to adult?
I haven't raised them, but as far i see by the older posts of breeders, it's most likely impossible to skip the terrestial stage.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations!

But there are no amplexus in Paramesotriton... but as i remember, on Paul's photo Azhael mistakened P. deloustali biting with amplexus similiar to that occuring in breeding Calotriton.

Well, in my defence, just look at the photo, it looks just the same. And i said it looked like the amplexus of Calotriton..not that Paramesotriton has any amplexus...

Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry to report that they all fuzzled out. (Get the pun?)

Attachments

• pchinensis eggssm.JPG
    pchinensis eggssm.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,284

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Raising Juvenile C.orientalis-Caresheet

EDIT: 8/5/10: I began writing about these animals in the moderator section, where it didn't really belong, and have moved these posts out of the mod development co care sheet thread and put them in this thread so that we can all read them. What happened was, I also had Cynops orientalis eggs, which I added to the Parameso egg tank, because I thought all those eggs had died, and I needed an egg tank quick.
When they began to morph, I soon learned that I had a mix of BOTH species in this tank--there are pc and co morphs coming out.

Here's my first morph. I thought it was a co, but the moderators corrected me that it is a pc.

Attachments

• FirstCOmorph (1)sm.JPG
    FirstCOmorph (1)sm.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 699
  • FirstCOmorphsm.JPG
    FirstCOmorphsm.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

I´m terribly confused Dawn, that cute little fella doesn´t look like a C.orientalis, that looks like some species of Paramesotriton.

Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

They came from the co eggs, I'm sure of it! Though I did have some param. chinensis eggs that all got moldy, they were in a different tank. Though mess-ups have happened here before, like when I found the T gran morph in the I alpestris tank. But I'm sure they were from the co tank! Do you have a pic of a co morph?
Here's a co morph, it looks just like this:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...my-cynops-orientalis-project-dsc03541edit.jpg

from this thread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...ynops/62364-my-cynops-orientalis-project.html

If it's by some chance the p. chinensis, should I keep it terrestrial, and if so, for how long?

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

The belly pattern is all wrong for C.orientalis. Also, C.orientalis has a partially red cloaca...only about a third or a quarter of it is black. I´m convinced that one is a Paramesotriton. From a dorsal point of view, morphs of both species are remarkably similar, though, it´s very easy to mistake them. As they develop, the differences become more and more noticiable.
I can´t take a photo right now, but i promise i will tomorrow.

Keep it terrestrial, wether it´s Cynops or Paramesotriton, it´s a safe method. If it is indeed Paramesotriton, it will take a long time to go aquatic again, possibly years.

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Did you get a close look at the larva before it morphed, Dawn? Larvae from Paramesos look very distinctive and unlike Cynops - I don't have time to explain, but you should look up some photos.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

That´s a very good point. The larvae are really quite different. If you upload photos of the remaining larvae, i´m sure we´ll be able to tell the difference, no problem. Perhaps you do have both species.

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Here, Dawn, as promised.
You can see that the belly pattern is different (there is of course wide variability in belly patterns among C.orientalis, but some basics are always there).
You can also see what i was saying about the cloaca. It´s red with a black end.

Attachments

• P1070760.JPG
    P1070760.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 451
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!