Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton chinensis juvenile (lots of pics)

Logan

Reaction score
This is my single juvenile Paramesotriton chinensis from Otterwomans pair. This newts is doing great on whiteworms, earthworm chunks, bloomworms, and some redworms.

The current tank is a critter keeper that is roughly 2 gallons in size but only 1.5 inches of water or almost 4cm of water is used. As you can see there is a lot of java moss and 4 river stones. The stones create great surface break as well as some underwater caves.

This little guys is getting fat and growing well. He/she swims often and spends lots of time underwater searching through the caves. It also spends a good portion of its time on land but always has wet skin. If its skin starts to dry it takes a dip. I will update as things progress.

The pics aren't the best quality but hey they work

Logan

Attachments

• para1.JPG
    para1.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 537
  • para2.JPG
    para2.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 442
  • para3.JPG
    para3.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 409
  • para4.JPG
    para4.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 362
  • para5.JPG
    para5.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 411
  • para6.JPG
    para6.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 354
  • para7.JPG
    para7.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 417

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am so glad you are able to keep him alive! If I get more this coming year, I will send you some company for him. :) Thanks for doing such a good job, Logan!!

Logan

Reaction score
Thanks Otterwoman!
It has been so much fun working with this little guy. I am currently setting up a nice 10 gallon full of plants with a cork island. I know the newt wont be using the tank for a while but it will be nice for it to be ready. I'll update with pics of the other tank soon. I would also like to add that you can't see the newt in the full pictures of its enclosure because it was currently searching through the rock caves. So fun to watch.
Logan

Logan

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,
The current temp is usually 68 or 69 F. Some days it reaches 72 or so but not usually. So it ranges from around 20 to 22 C.
Logan

Logan

Reaction score
These new pics focus around the build of the aquarium for the paramesotriton. The newt is not in this tank yet but it will be its home in time.
Logan

Attachments

• IMG_5643.JPG
    IMG_5643.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_5650.JPG
    IMG_5650.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_5646.JPG
    IMG_5646.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_5648.JPG
    IMG_5648.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 324
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1