Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pellets for C. Orientalis and C. Cyanuras

stanleyc

Reaction score
I feed my 2 Cynops species on a diet of mostly tubifex/black worms, daphnia, and maybe 2 times a month earthworms from the backyard. But recently, my daphnia cultures crashed and I wanted to try shrimp pellets as a 3rd food source because I just don't have the time to maintain the daphnia and green water culture I feed them with, on top of my newts anymore. The brand I got is HBH Shrimp Pellets, tropical fish food designed for bottom feeders. It contains, shrimp, krill, squid, and spirulina. I was wondering if this would be suitable for my newts. Also whether they would accept them, and if not, is there any way to train them to. What brands have you guys been successful with?

I did not find a section specifically for pellets, so I posted it here, thinking it's the closest one, hopefully that's alright.

Stanley

caleb

Reaction score
My orientalis will occasionally take catfish pellets, and they can be tweezer-fed with 'reptomin' sticks. The catfish pellets are just a cheap generic one from my local aquarium shop.

You might be able to train them by mixing pellets with the tubifex/blackworms.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn´t use any pellets that are not carnivore specific. I´ve used axolotl pellets and they are eaten well, although their taste for them varies with time.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I have got some "reptofrog granules-complete food for aquatic frogs and newts", i got them for my X.laevis froglets who never ate them lol. Would they be ok as an emergency food or as part of the diet for my C. Orientalis?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Ian, what are the ingredients/nutrition %'s?

protein 39%,crude oils and fats 9%, fibre7%,moisture 8% and added vitamins and trace elements. There is a picture of an ADF and fire belly on the front lol but i dont necessarily trust any product because of the packaging. I am feeding my guys up with live daphnia and frozen blood worm as they are underweight, this would be an additional food when they are recovered if it is suitable.

stanleyc

Reaction score
I tried feeding the shrimp pellets to my newts and only 1 of the Orientalis took them. I will try to feed some blackworms with them next time and see what happens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!