Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Penn-Plax Ammonia-X Questions

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone on here used Ammonia-X by Penn-Plax? I will attach a link to it. I got a deal on them, they're filter cartridges that just fit right on top of my sponge filters. I have two filters in with my axolotl, currently both have charcoal filters on the top. Lately my axolotls tank will go from 0 ammonia to .25 every like other day, so I end up doing a small water change here and there. Just wanna try something to see if it works. The two filter trick, plus the charcoal attachments have given me crystal clear water finally. Here's a link to it on Amazon...

I was able to get a pack at my local aquarium store on major sale and it's already the right shape to fit on the top of my sponge filters. Let me know if you have any experience with it. Says it's made of zeolite, which I've read that it is safe for axolotls but that it can be hit or miss with its effectiveness. Thanks in advance.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I have never used it specifically but alot of those products for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate bind them so it may affect your cycle is all I am saying

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Charcoal absorbs contaminants and has to be changed monthly or it leeches back into the water column. I personally dont use charcoal unless I treated the tank with something.

Just watch your parameters you will know soon enough if its a problem.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Will do. I just replaced the charcoal filters 2 weeks ago on time. I am still just baffled by how I have some ammonia. Like, I do a water check and it's .25 all the time. I don't know what I'm missing. The only thing I can think of is my eyes can't tell the difference in the shades of yellow. Like my mom insists it's yellow, not green at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!