Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Petition: Save Salamanders From Skin-eating Fungus

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I support the testing but reality says that's not what would happen. If they put them on the Lacey act it won't do what you want. It will mean you can never cross state lines with your pet salamanders or ship them to other forum members. That's what will happen. If you want to move to another state, you will have to rehome or put down any listed salamanders. It would be a felony to cross state lines with anything on the lacey act.

JMH

Reaction score
Exactly. We obviously don't know if the disease is present in North American collections, but tests from the Amphibian Survival Alliance should soon be sent out to let us know. If salamanders in any N.A. collections are indeed carrying it, then the act will prevent the movement of individuals that are or might be carrying the disease. It is much better to be over prepared than under prepared, especially when its something this serious. Native wild animals should always come before captive novelties and your "right" to keep them. Also responsible husbandry practices need to be taught and strictly obeyed by everyone, including the proper treatment of all waste water and cage materials before being disposed of.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1