Petrie's Plight And The Warm Water Worry...

Glad you finally got it sorted :D I have to agree with kerry though, your thread has me lol. I have just finished reading it to my hubby :p

Just when you thought it was safe to breathe....there is another saga in the warm water worry...

So, after all my trials and tribulations, I managed to get the chiller up and running, with Petrie relaxing at a permanent 17 degrees for the past however long...but this was not to last...

Last night I was feeding Petrie a hearty meal of two worms (with a slug for pudding!) when it suddenly struck me that the water did not feel cold enough (normally, at 17 degrees, I am shivering)...looked at the chiller which was showing the temperature to be 17...then had a look at my aquarium thermometer which was showing 22 degrees!!!

After fiddling about, it transpired that my water pump has died!! So, the chiller was just cooling the water in the hose and nothing was being pumped round the tank.

Now, as demonstrated with the posts above, my DIY knowledge is very limited. The only theory I can think of in regards to the pump demise, is that being an internal pump, it has sucked in some aquarium sand/plant debris too? Can anyone think of what else it might be?

(As a side night, I actually have a spare internal pump - that one appears to be broken too!!)

So, last night I ordered an extenal water pump, which set me back £30 (£30!!! For a pump?!?!) and am hoping that this will arrive tomorrow and the matter shall be resolved, however, based upon my previous luck/stupidity, it is more likely that I will be back with another HILARIOUS anecdote (please read in the bitter tone intended :D) about how the pump arrived, but it's actually for a swimming pool and measures 14 foot across and the company won't do refund's, so I have to exchange and end up with 7,000 rubber rings and a life time supply of goggles :sick:.

Fingers crossed.

Zoe x

Edit: Just wanted to add, the pump definately was only out of action yesterday, as I clean plant debris etc from the tank every day, so know the water was icy the day before.

Good luck with your new pump when it arrives, hope that it resolves your ongoing issues with your chiller,;). I too enjoy reading your posts, I think hearing others stories about when things dont go to plan, make you realise that maybe its not just happening to you, as I often say to my husband, why does everything have to be so difficult, you might start out with an easy task and it turns a bigger job than you thought or something always goes wrong, just to relate to others makes you realise that, "what doesnt kill you, only makes you stronger," so to speak.:eek:

Cathy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back