Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Petsmart nightcrawlers

epicbattle

Reaction score
Sgt Pepper will be needing to upgrade from red wigglers soon and I'm having trouble deciding what to get for him. There's a Petsmart just down the block from my place, so it would be great to get worms there. But the only worms they have are red wigglers and "nightcrawlers"...they can't tell me what species the nightcrawlers are or how big they are(the package is taped shut, so I can't open it to find out). Does anybody here know what Petsmart is selling as "nightcrawlers"? Other nearby pet shops only have red wigglers. I can get wild earthworms on campus, but not near my home because the landlords spray something on the grass every 3 months, so that wouldn't be very convenient for me(and impossible most of the year since summer is too dry and winter is too cold for finding worms)

If the petsmart worms are too big, I can order worms online...one site that I've dealt with in the past has dew worms and redworms, but I'm not sure of the size or suitability of either of these. I haven't been able to find anything else online... Canadian Tire and Walmart don't have anything. I can't seem to find any fishing shops either; I think the lake here is more popular for leisure sports than fishing, since it seems to mostly just have carp.

Slongo

Reaction score
Last time I bought them they were canadian nightcrawlers. Anyways I doubt the nutritional difference would be big regardless of what kind of nightcrawler they are.

epicbattle

Reaction score
Thanks! Canadian nightcrawlers are probably too big still. Any idea how big dew worms or red worms would be in comparison?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the hurdles I had to overcome when I started keeping newts was cutting up nightcrawlers. I put them in a shotglass, take my scissors, and cut cut cut as fast as I can until it is minced. Then I put it in a jar on its side, and that's how I feed nightcrawlers to any species, regardless of size.

limnologist

Reaction score
Sgt Pepper will be needing to upgrade from red wigglers soon and I'm having trouble deciding what to get for him. There's a Petsmart just down the block from my place, so it would be great to get worms there. But the only worms they have are red wigglers and "nightcrawlers"...they can't tell me what species the nightcrawlers are or how big they are(the package is taped shut, so I can't open it to find out). Does anybody here know what Petsmart is selling as "nightcrawlers"? Other nearby pet shops only have red wigglers. I can get wild earthworms on campus, but not near my home because the landlords spray something on the grass every 3 months, so that wouldn't be very convenient for me(and impossible most of the year since summer is too dry and winter is too cold for finding worms)

If the petsmart worms are too big, I can order worms online...one site that I've dealt with in the past has dew worms and redworms, but I'm not sure of the size or suitability of either of these. I haven't been able to find anything else online... Canadian Tire and Walmart don't have anything. I can't seem to find any fishing shops either; I think the lake here is more popular for leisure sports than fishing, since it seems to mostly just have

carp.

Why not cut the worms in half if they are too big? And why not breed both types if worms? It isnt hard at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1