Ph and question

T

travis

I just did a ph test on my newt tank. It's been about a week, i used spring water purchased from the store and the ph is between 7.4 and 7.8 depending on where in the tank I tested. Is this ideal for my eastern newts?? Will it affect their eating habits?

Also, i just noticed (for the second time) one of the little guys was under the water and had both back legs essentially floating upward from his body. I tried to get a picture but he was rather camera shy about it. Should I be worried at this behavior?

Thanks guys and gals. You are a true help!!

For most newts, I would say that this pH is perfectly good. However, I've had bad luck keeping Notophthalmus in somewhat alkaline water, and it's possible that the pH *might* have been the cause (or not, I don't really know).

Is there a reason you don't use your own tap water (suitably dechlorinated)?

I worry about the tap water here. We have had some issues with pipes and city-wide orders not to drink the water for a certain duration... i think spring water is just a safer alternative. I keep fish with the tap water here and have not had any problems. I truly want to raise these newts and allow them to live good lives. All my pets are like children to me and i just want them to be safe.

Good news is that I checked on my newts about five minutes ago and caught a glimpse of the skinny one eating a live tubifex worm. Hooray!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back