PH levels moving around

rosebloom63

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I had this together, but clearly I have a lot more to learn! Afish is back to his hungry active self, but the pH in how tank keys swinging around. Like it ran the full range from 6 to 8 in under 3 days and I don't know why!!! I did a full water change and took the rocks out of his tank. I have also been keeping a log for the past week or so. All his tests have come back at a steady 7.6 until last night when it was between 7.6 and 7.4 and then I rested about an hour ago and it's at 6. All the other levels are normal (0 ppm for nitrates and nitrite) except for ammonia which is at .25 before I dosed the tank with ammo lock. The ammonia has gone up before without the pH changing at all, so I don't know what's causing it! Does anyone know what's happening and how I fix it? Also any tips on keeping ammonia down would be helpful. There's no food or leftover poop that I've seen, to raise it.

For ammonia, I would just do some consistent water changes for a few days. When I have an ammonia spike, I usually do a 50% my first day as well as adding dechlorinator and conditioner. The next day I’ll do a little less of a water change, then the next day a little less, until I feel my ammonia levels are under control. Also, be sure to look around caudata.org forums for similar experiences.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ma-mexicanum/105469-ammonia-levels-water.html

Also, here is a website that lists city’s in the United States that use chloramine. https://www.dudegrows.com/watercheck/
From what I have gathered, chloramine is somehow a combination of chlorine and ammonia that they for some reason put in some city’s water supply, I don’t have a 100% understanding of it myself. If that is the case for your city water, you’ll probably need to purchase products to put into your axolotls water to help balance. I hear of a product called “Prime” quite often in these forums, though I have no personal experience with it .

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back