PH too high?

J

jordan

Hey i just checked the pH of my water and its at 8 even. Is that too high for an axolotl or not. and if it is, what can i do to lower it down? Thanks

What is the pH of your tap water (after adding dechlorinator)? What I'm getting at is... is your tap water this pH, or is there something in the tank causing the pH to climb? Also, is the tank newly set up, or has it been running a while?

My pH is 8 and it's no problem. If you have live plants, they tend to decrease the pH over time. But it's probably fine where it is.

my tap water's pH is 7 after dechlorinator and before it. The tank is cycling and has been cycling for 2 weeks.

That's odd. Do you have any cement, limestone, shells, etc.? These things tend to dissolve and increase pH. I can't imagine any other reason why the pH would increase that much.

i have shells and some other decorations in there. That is all that I have.

The shells are probably the reason, then. It might be better to take them out.

well yesterday i did a water change and i tested the water today. The pH now is testing at 7.4 which is really good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back