PH up and down

SharonNZ

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I recently read that you can't use ph up or down with axolotls. Is this correct? If so, how do you correct to get the right parameters for the PH?

Axolotls are incredibly tolerant with respect to pH. Unless your pH is really extreme, you usually don't need to adjust it. If you need to raise it, crushed coral in a nylon stocking is a safe way.

What pH do you have?

Ph is.7.6. So does coral bring it from that high to 7 or from 6 up to 7?
Also, while nitrite and ammonia are both 0, I always have a high nitrate reading. Above 40 most times. I do 3 40% water changes a week to try combat this but never get a good result. Have heard test kits can be faulty so got a new one. Do you have any suggestions. (Have a canister filter so can't use nitazorb packets.) Thank you.

The crushed coral will 'raise the PH. Your current PH of 7.6 is not a problem so I wouldn't try to raise it.

Your readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 40>ppm of nitrAte show you have an establish biological filter (nitrogen cycle) which is great. I have the same problems with nitrAte due to it existing in my tap water. Make sure to test your tap water for nitrAte, this could be the cause. What test kit do you use?

My method for lowering nitrAtes is to add many plants, and use Seachem Prime, which supposedly will bind the nitrAtes making it easier for plants to absorb them.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/104585-nitrates-tap-water.html

Don't forget the water changes to bring down nitrate. It won't bring down the nitrates if the nitrates are in the tap water, but regular water changes are still important, since other things build up too.

Sorry I forgot to mention the obvious water changes >.<. Even if there is nitrAte in the tap water still perform water changes. As your nitrAte builds up in your tank naturally you can at least lower it by adding fresh water which potentially has a lower reading of nitrAte.

I use the API kit. I do 3 x 40% water changes a week. There is no nitrate in our water.
What plants are safe for axolotl? Will try that.

Plants that are axolotl appropriate are tough, low-light plants that can stand cold temps. Anubias are good, since they don't need their roots buried. Some high-light floating plants are good, since they cut the light to the bottom of the tank. (Some people use duck weed, but my axies eat it, I think by mistake.) Moss balls are good too. Anything fragile is a bad idea, since axies are big and aren't careful.

There is a good list of plants within this article: Axolotl Sanctuary

I'm currently planting:

Vallisneria Spiralis - A tall background plant, will grow to the surface of the water with the tips floating on the surface like streamers, creates partial cover if using light

Eleocharis Parvula - Known commonly as Hairgrass, a great foreground plant that looks like grass and can create a carpet like effect.

Elodea - A type of water weed, looks quite nice.

Java Moss - Great for attaching to rocks, wood, or any other type of surface/ornament in your aquarium, very hardy.

Salvinia Natans - A floating plant commonly known as 'floating fern', creates coverage if using a light.

All these can survive in cold freshwater aquariums with adequate lighting.

3 40% water changes a week is pretty significant. What size is your tank, and how many axies, and how big are they?

I'm wondering if you have too much axolotl for your tank. It's obviously cycled, but for there to be so much nitrate (and not coming from tap water), maybe you just have too much organic matter for your size tank? Just a thought.

Also do you clean out excess food that hasn't been consumed after a few hours?

Tank is 60x32x40, LxWxH. It was an unwanted pet and had lived in that tank for 11 years. I have had her for 3 months, my first axolotl, and have a new bigger tank on its way as she is 27cm and looks way to big for this tank. She eats live food only as she will not touch frozen axie food or pellets etc. And food is hunted and gone within half an hour. I always clean her waste as soon as I see it. Which I always wanted to ask, should her waste be cleaned straight away or be left for a while? I wondered if it might be not leaving it that might cause nitrate problem? And I do 3 water changes weekly cos testing 24 hours after the change the nitrate is high! Am at my wits end with this damn nitrate. So will be buying plants that you guys have listed!!!

Leaving the waste would allow more nitrAte to be created, since the ammonia produced from the waste would get converted to nitrite, then the nitrite would get converted to nitrAte.

The extra water changes are helpful to try keep the nitrAte down, I'm in the same boat as you.

Are you following the instructions for nitrate tests to the letter? They can be touchy sometimes.

If you mean shaking bottles and test tubes to the exact seconds and minutes as stated in instructions, then yes. Even read, and do, banging bottle #2 cos of the crystals.

So, the problem is, there is a mysterious source of nitrate in the tank, right? You are cleaning carefully, your tank isn't too small, you are doing large water changes, and there are no nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia in the tap water, right? (Just summarizing to make sure I read things properly. :happy:)

What else is there in the tank? What substrate and decorations? I'm wondering if something else is the source.

Yes your summation is correct. I do all that, though I am awaiting delivery of a larger tank as I think she's too big for the tank she came in.
Sand substrate, 4 fake plants, cannister filter that's in the tank with a spray bar.

It is a pain when a tank doesn't "behave" as it should. Hopefully, the larger tank will help.

Another possibility: Could a significant amount of "poop" gotten sucked into the canister filter somehow?

I don't know of any sand that would raise nitates, but I imagine there are some. What kind of sand? (I'm grasping at straws here. :happy:)

Sand was aquarium sand bought from a pet store. Will have to ask them what it is as I don't know. But its very fine sand. Glad you asked about the filter. I read that every couple of weeks to gently squeeze out the sponge in water taken straight out of the tank and while doing that I clean cannister first in same water before the sponge. So I do that, so any poo should be gone then? But is that correct to do that with sponge? I'm not harming the cycle? Also some nz sites say use carbon others say carbon is harmful, what is correct? Please keep grasping at straws as would be great to solve the problem. Though I don't mind doing so many water changes she's still having to live in the nitrate while I'm waiting the 24 hours to test the water.

Hi Sharon
I have been through this recently as well - not so much with the PH though - your 7.6 is perfect for Axolotl's/ freshwater fish.

I would be a wee bit careful - if you do change your water-30% weekly max, as you dont want to take out your Bio system?

I would be a wee bit careful - if you do change your water-30% weekly max, as you dont want to take out your Bio system?

Since the bio filter seems to be established the water changes are needed to lower the high readings of NitrAtes, although, I agree that too many water changes could starve your bio filter possibly crashing colony's of bacteria

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back