Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photos of my Axolotls

K

kirsten

I hope it's ok to post here. I know I am quite curious to see the types of Axos that other people have so I am going to post some of my own for the next person who is as curious as me.

18495.jpg

Meet Ebon (back) and Tawn (front) my two boys.
happy.gif

I will try to get a clearer pic eventually.

K

katy

wow the golden albino (tawn i think?) is gorgeous! i've never seen one so orange.

here's one of mine. the leucistic is juju and the other one (we still haven't decided on her phenotype - she has red eyes, but is obviously not a normal albino) is aztec. you can see aztec's nibbled gills here, too (naughty juju).

18497.jpg

(Message edited by zenkatydid on July 23, 2004)

K

kirsten

Tawn is actually not that orange, he is more of a bright yellow colour. As soon as I work out some settings on my camera, I should be able to get a better shot of them.

Hehe JuJu is so cute, and I have never seen one the colour of Aztec.

K

katy

axolotls are funny creatures. juju has the most amazing personality. people have come to my house with an 'ew, a what?' attitude and absolutely fallen in love with him. he's just got it *g*

K

kaysie

Some interesting colored axies as of late. Here's a pic of my violet colored juvenile.

18639.jpg

PS: This individual has as of recent become much darker, but is still retaining the purple hue.

(Message edited by kaysie on July 25, 2004)

K

kim

wow Kaysie!! That is a cool colour for an axo but i love the colour of Tawn 2 Kirsten

Humm something im wondering tho how does everyone get great photos with no flash showing in the glass and how on earth do you get the axos to stay still mine dont!

Great photos people show us some more!
happy.gif

J

jenny

how come everyone has odd coloured axys. if i find somewhere selling them then they are just wildtype or albino. i have a leceustic and two wildtype.but i want some green one or really defined spotty ones. if i breed them am i likely to eventually get an odd one? ive tried understanding the genetics of it ad mik has tried explaining to me but i stil cant grasp it. is it just pure luck what you get?

K

kaysie

Jenny, buy some off breeders. I received some extremely light color wildtypes and this (now dark) purple one from a breeder. But yeah, its pretty much chance that you get some unusual colored ones. You can predict the outcome of the majority of the colors, but then you get some oddities (such as Chance and Aztec).

(Message edited by kaysie on July 26, 2004)

K

kaysie

BTW: an updated (about 10 minutes ago) pic of my little guy (or girl).
18644.jpg

K

kirsten

I saw a red axolotl in the local pet shop.. I was so tempted because I hadn't seen one that colour in any of the photos posted... but I think 2 in a 3FT tank is already max?

Also, I really need to post another photo, Tawn is not that orange, it just came out that way.

As for photo technique, heh I'm no photographer, I just held the camera up to the glass and clicked.
happy.gif

Mine didn't swim away, in fact it seemed to me that Ebon got jealous of Tawn being in the forefront as after a while he actually swam right up to the side of the glass where I was and posed!

K

katy

Oooh the purple one will be gorgeous! And you could definitely fit 3 axies in a 3 ft tank, Kirsten. Was the red one a golden albino variant, or a wildtype variant? ie. did it have spots?

K

katya

I've been breeding axolotls for ages now (12 years or so) and in that time I have had heaps of cool colours come out, some intentionally and some very unexpected!!! The strangest by far was about 8 years ago. it's parents were both wildtypes (one almost black, the other an orangey light brown) and out of 60 surviving babies that were all mixed wildtypes (most quite dark) this one female had a compleetly white head, including eyes, gills and one leg and then from it's front legs down was redish orange, with some darker spots on it's tail and one lone white spot! I had so many offers for her, but I wanted to breed her, and no amount of money was going to stop me! I bred her 4 times before she died, all with different males, an albino, wildtype, golden albino and another wild type and nothing special came out!!! I was so dissapointed!

J

jenny

wow how cool does that axy sound katya! do you have any pix of her? how do you find breeders?

K

katy

how cool! i wonder if it was some aquatic equivalent to a birth mark, rather than the actual colouring.

K

kaysie

Katya, some things skip a generation. if you would have bred her offspring to each other or her to her offspring, and her coloring wasnt just a fluke, then you probably would have had more variations.

as for photo technique, mine are in a 30gal rubbermaid tub, so I cant shoot through the sides, so I shoot through the water. If you're shooting through the glass, go at a slight angle, so the reflection doesnt bounce back through the lens, but off to the side.

(Message edited by kaysie on July 26, 2004)

K

katya

That's and interesting idea katy, an aquatic equivalent to a birth mark? Never thought of it like that, spose it could be??? I did have that idea kaysie, the last time i bred her (before she died) it was with one of her male offspring, from the first lot, only about 15 out of the 100 or so eggs were fertile and only 2 made it past the first week after hatchig, and they were nothing special! I hadn't thought of breeding her offspring together for that purpose though. However I have bred some of them and as i said before, nothing special! just a fluke i spose, or a birth mark!!!

K

katya

Jenny, I started out with 2 pet axi's when i was about 7, actually i got them for my 7th birthdy. One was a wildtype male and the other was a golden albino female, i wasn't that interested in them untill i found some eggs one day! so mum found out what to do and after successfully raising 19 of the young i decided to sell 16 of them, some to friends and some to the pet shop. then someone told me about genetics and stuff, so i got all exited about making weird colours and having these cute babies and of course making money! so i then got an albino female and male, another golden albino, male this time and so then i had my 2 origionals, 3 babies and3 new ones (they only came from the pet shop so it was hard to tell what they really were caus i didn't know wha the parents were) and that was about it. I know someone who also breds like me and we "swap eggs" we've found a very good way of transporting the eggs in special containers over the 900 kms. So to answer you question about where do i find breeders, well i don't really, i have good breeding stock already, although i do occasionally get given one or two (you know when the novitly has worn off and ppl don't want them any more!) othewise my friend and i run a pretty good breeding program!

A

andre

Hi folks,

I thought I could share with you this pic of a newly born Axi (about 6 days old). Last week one of my female has spread all over the place some 150 eggs or so
happy.gif

18766.gif

D

deathbydisco

heres a funny pic of my pet african claw toed frog dive bombing my axols, well call him "bob", im surprised they havent tried to eat him, he runs into them all the time and sits on their heads and they just seem to ignore him like hes the village idiot.
18895.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!