Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pictures of Dicamptodon aterrimus

Reaction score
This is my first time posting pictures. I found both of these Idaho Giant Salamanders, along with a lot of other Dicamptodon aterrimus, in Idaho this past summer. The bigger one is an adult terrestrial salamander and the smaller less colorful slamander is a neotonic juvenile. Please tell me if you want other pictures of these salamanders and what you think.

Attachments

• abc2[1].JPG
    abc2[1].JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • abc3[1].JPG
    abc3[1].JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 468
  • igs_012[1].jpg
    igs_012[1].jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 443

rust

Reaction score
Very cool, definitely a seldom seen (in pictures) caudate. I've looked for them a couple of times up while traveling on business, to no avail. Do post a few more, they need to add these to the site's photo base.

RPM

Reaction score
Nice Photos.
What length is your terrestrial, dimensions of your enclosure and types of food is it consuming?
Thank you,
RPM

Reaction score
I will certianly post more pictures soon. I think it would be awesome if they Put some of my pictures on the sites photo base.

tdimler

Reaction score
COOL! I'd love to see more photos of the animals as well as habitat photos.

Travis

Reaction score
The terrestrial salamander is about 10in. It lives in a 20gal terrarium. It eats earthworms, mealworms, and crickerts. All the food items are dusted with calcium. If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask!

Reaction score
Here is one more picture. I will post more pictures of the salamanders and there tanks tomorrow. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• abc4[1].JPG
    abc4[1].JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 442

Reaction score
I found some more pictures today, of the habitat and some other neotonic salamanders I found. I hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Idaho giant salamander 009.jpg
    Idaho giant salamander 009.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 803
  • Idaho giant salamander 006.jpg
    Idaho giant salamander 006.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 1,562
  • Idaho giant salamander 008.jpg
    Idaho giant salamander 008.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 917

rust

Reaction score
Nice habitat. The link Tim posted is a pretty recent change in ID. You might want to check MT's rules too, they're rather ambiguous. I know there is (or was) a possession limit on macrodactylum in MT, but I'm not sure what the rules were on Dicomps. Of course I can't find the link to any of the possession limit rules now.

andyoconnor83

Reaction score
recent change or not, it was definitely changed BEFORE he collected them which makes them illegal to possess, in or out of Idaho. They are the mosit protected amphibian over their entire range, and the second most protected statewide only behind the oregon spotted frog. At this point, releasing them into the wild would cause more harm than good, and I doubt the ID F&G is gonna bust down your door for it, but please don't take any more.

Reaction score
I didn't know they were protected, and I should of checked. I know it was bad and I will never do it again:eek: There was a very stable population of them were I took them, still not right though. sorry

andyoconnor83

Reaction score
Yeah, and I am not against collecting anything from a stable pop. usually, I know certain state's laws are too strict on this issue (I live in washington, picking up a garter snake is technically against F&G law) but the reason D. aterrimus is protected so much is there are few stable populations left. But you could have gotten in a ton of trouble had a warden or someone caught you that knew the law so be careful. Enjoy your new, illegal, but cool pets. sorry if I came across as harsh.

alana

Reaction score
It picking up a garter snake really illegal out here? They are everywhere! Washington is too strict on their outdoor laws. My husband recently got a ticket for not having a life jacket in an inflatable kayak!
Those are cute little critters you got there!
*Alana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!