Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Piebald salamanders

matamander

Reaction score
Hey all. I wanted to collectively pick your guys' brains to see if anyone has seen piebald salamanders in the wild. I've seen some weird color variants of red-backed salamanders and heard of people that have seen leucistic or albino individuals. Has anyone else seen anything out of the ordinary?

manderkeeper

Reaction score
No piebalds around here but north of me there are all red red-backed salamanders. They are definitely more attractive than the more common color types.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I've seen a thousand of red back salamanders over the years and they have all been normally colored.

matamander

Reaction score
Thanks for responding guys! I figured as much, but wanted to see what other people had seen out there.

Thanassi07

Reaction score
Hey all. I wanted to collectively pick your guys' brains to see if anyone has seen piebald salamanders in the wild. I've seen some weird color variants of red-backed salamanders and heard of people that have seen leucistic or albino individuals. Has anyone else seen anything out of the ordinary?
I know this post is old but at a certain population in Massachusetts, I find an enormous amount of erythristic of individuals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!