Pimpin' My Axie's Crib

oliviavandev

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my Axolotl, Walter, for about four months. He has a 20 gallon long tank that has cycled (was a painful process, let me tell you) and he is currently living in it. I've got a Fluval U2 filter in there as well as some Pothos sticking out of the top. I checked the tank parameters a couple of days ago (Ammonia: 0.1ppm; Nitrates: 0.5ppm; Nitrites 0ppm). I've got several fake plants in his tank, including a large vine. It was always my goal to eventually switch from fake plants to real plants, and my busy schedule, funds, and lack of frequent moving now allows me to do so. I want to build a rock hide for him and attach some Java Fern to it. This structure would be replacing my fake vine that I've got in there. My question is, how should I go about this transition? Am I able to immediately make the swap, or would it be a put the rock structure in and leave the vine in for a month or so. I am trying to avoid having to wait for my tank to cycle again and having to tub Walter for a month. My main concern is the loss of the beneficial bacteria that is living on the vine.

if a tank is already cycled then it is always best to introduce items to the tank prior to removing items, there shouldn't be much bacteria growth on fake plants unless they are porous.

if a tank is already cycled then it is always best to introduce items to the tank prior to removing items, there shouldn't be much bacteria growth on fake plants unless they are porous.
Thanks for the feedback! I know every tank is different, but do you have a ballpark idea of how long I should leave the fake plants in my tank after I put in the rock structure?

because most fake aquarium plants are a solid plastic the bacteria will be minimal and surface dwelling so a week at most should suffice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back