Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pipa parva metamorphs

duncan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here's a few pictures of my Pipa parva metamorphs. They've just started to develop hind legs. I like to refer to them as "my little aliens." Sorry about the clarity, the photos are taken through the Rubbermaid plastic containers I raise them in.

Enjoy,
Duncan

79716.jpg

79717.jpg

79718.jpg

tony

Reaction score
woah wierd. look like alien hammerheads
good luck with them!!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How are the little guys doing? I just noticed a bunch of tadpoles in my Pipa parva tank. I caught them and am putting them in a 10 gallon tank with some java moss. I should have some daphnia coming in this week. I plan to feed them daphnia, spirulina, crushed flake food, and a little baby brine shrimp. I think they do better with a little bigger food than Xenopus when you add it to some fine food.
Michael

duncan

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Finally had time to answer your question, sorry for the delay. Unfortunately I had a bit of a disaster shortly after I took the pics and made the original post. I made a fairly substantial water change in the tadpole tank and for some reason lost all but one tad. I'm not sure if there was a springtime chloramine issue with our city water, or what, but I could have cried. The remaining tad has long since morphed out though and is doing well, measuring about 3 cm or so and eating pelleted frog food and fozen blood worms. My adult female is ready to release another batch of tads shortly and I think I'll raise them in a larger tank to minimize any possibility of sudden changes in water quality etc. I have fed my tads mainly on spirulina powder and HBH Frog and tadpole bites as well as the occasional microworm (when they were older and already had back legs). How are yours doing since you posted?

Duncan

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Duncan,
My tads are doing fine. I have them in a seasoned tank with a bunch of plants. They are being fed spirulina, chlorella, mosquito larvae, daphnia, hatchling goldfish, crumpled up flake food, and occasioinally baby brine shrimp. I'm not running a filter in the tank and rarely do water changes. i just dump a bunch of food items in and eventually they disappear. From what I have read and experienced it seems important to have some bigger food items for the tadpoles. They look a lot like xenopus tadpoles but do not eat like them.
I've been feeding the adults heavier and have at least 2 females carrying eggs. They are eating salmon pellets and earthworms. I find when I feed them more earthworms they breed more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!