Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plant only filtration?

DantheTman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 10 gallon tank could successfully be filtered using only live plants?
Will be stocked with a trio of C.orientalis

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I've had many 10 gallons with no filters just plants. Mostly I use java moss and elodea. Especially dealing with C. orientalis which is a small species you shouldn't have no problem.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The key is having large amounts of plants. This is doubly benefitial as H.orientalis loves having dense areas of vegetation, and they dislike currents.
You can find several threads that discuss this kind of biological filtration around the forum. Use the search function to find them.

Molch

Reaction score
think "jungle" - plants everywhere, and include some fast-growing species like Elodea and hornwort. I have many tanks like that, no problem. With just an occasional (every 2 weeks) partial water change they do just fine.

merk199

Reaction score
None of my aquariums have any filters (newts/freshwater fish). All is done through the use of plants. Should be no problem especially since most newts dislike water current....

Andrej

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experimented with a mycological based filtration system in a terrarium/aquarium setup? I'm new to the Caudata world and trying to learn what I can before I get my own setup. I was just curious, about the implementation of fungi in a miniature filtration system. I know Chytridiomycosis has the potential to make fungi unappealing to anyone caring for amphibians, but research has proven that mycelium can be utilized for their ability to bioaccumulate toxic chemicals; in a terrarium system where that mycelia mat could be removed quite easily, it seems they could be beneficial organisms in the cleaning of the closed ecosystems.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt fungi could be used as the main source of filtration, but they are certainly present in any tank. Apart from the ever present Saprolegnia, i´ve seen slime molds in some of my tanks. I think they are an integral, albeit mostly unseen, part of the mini ecosystem that is an aged tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1