Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants are dying

pswuid

Reaction score
My tank is 3 weeks old.

My plants are afflicted by a strange condition. The leaves turn darker green, and then get transparent and very flaccid along with the attached stem.

This began with just one type of plant in the tank ( a small leafed variety) which all were from the same package and separated around the tank.

Now, all the plants besides the grass are having this happen to them.

I do not think the issue is light because I have 2 LED lamps above the tank which I used for my last tank, and also to grow terrestrial plants successfully.
Any ideas on why this is happening.

I do not yet have newts or any animals inside the tank. I think the issue may be iron deficiency. I can buy a bottle of iron supplement for aquariums. Is this safe to use if newts will be going into the tank.

Any help is appreciated!

slowfoot

Reaction score
What types of plants are these? It is normal for many kinds to die back when disturbed or moved.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
It could be the light as well. Many aquatic plants grow in full sunlight, while many plants used in terraria grow in the understory where there's very little direct sun. Consequently, there are a fair number of aquatic plants which require strong lighting. Whether two LED lights is enough depends upon the color spectrum and light output of them.

Methos5K

Reaction score
Make sure the LED is full spectrum as Frogeyes said. 6500K. There should always be light in the aquarium, even nighttime there should be some blue light. Plants produce oxygen, but they use it themselves as well.
Are you supplementing the plants with CO2? Unless your sticking with the cheap pondweed stuff, your plants will need carbon dioxide. Either by a diffuser, or an inorganic carbon.

JM29

Reaction score
It's necessary to know the exact names of the plants and where they come from.

Many aquatic plants proposed for aquariums are in fact semi-aquatic and they are grown in humid terrestrial conditions. Once put in an aquarium, they sometimes need several weeks (and a lot of light as FrogEyes just said) to adapt to their new conditions.

If they have been grown in aquarium for a long time, they may be already adapted.

Fumanchu

Reaction score
In my 2 10 gallons I use fluorescent 60watt equivalent and one with a red and one with a cool spectrum and they do very well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1