Plants for egg-laying verrucosus?

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
I dont think that my female T verrucosus are mature enough yet, being noticably smaller than the male, but the male has started a bit of tail wafting etc.
Just in case I am trying to find out what type of plants are most commonly used in egg laying.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they will lay in java moss, but don't remember where I read it.
The tank contains 5 types of plants, but I would like to know which ones to keep checking.

MORG

J

john

They aren't fussy. I only ever have Egeria densa (aka "Elodea") and Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana). They even lay them on rocks occasionally.

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
Thanx John
Both of those plants are in the tank.

J

john

Actually, my big female seems to prefer Java moss (she's laying on it right now). She's laying more eggs on that than on the Egeria.

J

john

Speaking of which, I just took this photo.

<CENTER>
</CENTER>

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
Great photo
verrucosus really are amazing newts arent they.

I will keep an eye on the plants for eggs,the male is really going for it trying to interest his favourite female, but as I said, I dont think she is ready yet.

J

john

Was the male the one I sent you this year? Good luck with them.

J

john

And here's a photo from today (she's still spawning intermittantly actually).

<CENTER>
</CENTER>

There's nearly a hundred eggs in that photo and she's laid at least twice that this time around.

J

john

A few people have asked if I'm raising these, and the answer is yes. Should have nice 8 cm juveniles by mid Autumn. I know I said last week in another post that I wouldn't be raising any but I changed my mind.

J

john

Raise them and probably put an advert here in the Autumn. Like I've said before though, only in the UK.

R

raoul

Im afraid that my females laying. How do I get them out without harming the embryos, will taking them out of the water(even for 30 seconds) to transfer them to another tank kill them ? What kind of percentage mature to larvae and what kind of percentage make it to adulthood ?

J

john

They're tough enough to mess around with, don't worry. If you're really good at it, you should be able to raise 99% of what hatches. The problem is that those are really small larvae you'll have due to the size of the mother, so they may prove more difficult than normal. The usual guidelines apply though, except keep those above 22 degrees C if you want them to grow well.

Good luck.

R

raoul

keeping them at that temp. will not be a problem if I raise any to maturity I shall ask my local zoo (shepreth) if they want any. They already keep axolotls and cynops. I'll tell you what though, I'm glad that my parents between them have kept so many large plastic containers because all this activity has tested my emergency homing skills to the limit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
    Naxuzi: Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate... +2