Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants for fire-belly newt aquascape

Krys

Reaction score
Hello! I am brand new to aquascaping so I dont know what I'm getting myself into I have a 20 gal aquarium and I'm trying to have it planted. What I would like to know is: What are the best plants to keep with fire-belly newts? are there any plants I cant keep with them? and which plants are the best for keeping the water as filtered as possible? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you! :happy:

evut

Reaction score
Newts love plants - the conditions you have in the aquarium will determine which ones you can have (light, water hardness, temperature, substrate etc.). I don't think there are plants you can't have with newts but you will be limited by the conditions which newts require (lower temperatures, non-moving water, no gravel that the newts could swallow...).

I would recommend reading through the threads in this section to get some ideas. Also look up Walstad method.
Regarding "filtering plants" - hornwort and Hygrophila Difformis / Water Wisteria are supposed to have qualities like that.

Axoll

Reaction score
Frogbit is a good plant to use i have it with my baby axies and they love it as it is a floating plant and you should try and have a combination of floating and not as newts love that kind of thing.

archie

Reaction score
Sorry to jump on the thread, but thought I might as well rather than start another. I was looking to get some terrestrial plants for my FBn set-up. Just wanna check that there are no non newt friendly plants? So I can go to a garden centre and just ask which suit my temp and substrate? many thanks Alex.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!