Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PLEASE HELP ME axolotl seems so sick:( I don’t know what to do

Axolotlnewbie

Reaction score
Hi! I would 100% recommend a water testing kit, I believe most people and myself use the API freshwater master kit it’s around $25 I believe but we’ll worth it! I would check his bowels for the substrate to make sure that is not your issue, if it is I would immediately remove the substrate but do NOT clean the tank as this will ruin its cycle. They also are very sensitive to light, I only turn my light on if I really need to or photos/videos they recommend not having a light on any more than 4 hours maximum per day. I would read into tubbing and consider that! I hope the best for your baby♥
Hi yes I actually did purchase that exact kit and have been using it to monitor the water, he seems to be feeling a lot better since fridging and I removed all the sand even though it is the finest sand the store had. I didnt know not to clean the tank just tried to remove as much sand as I could in water changes but he still isn’t back in the tank cause the pH is still pretty high and I don’t know how to get it lower.

Axolotlnewbie

Reaction score
***I have never had an axolotl, never wanted one (now I love him more than anything very awesome creature) but now my mom has it and doesn’t care to do the research so now I’m left to keep him healthy and happy. I would NEVER buy or accept an animal without doing extensive research so please don’t get mad at me for not knowing anything I’m just trying to keep him alive.****

my mom recently (month ago) received an axolotl as a gift from her brother in law that owns a fish store, he set up a huge tank with beach sand substrate and he seemed to be happy walking around, eating normally (axolotl food we got with him), loved to watch TV with us.

Then all the sudden he started hiding in his cave but floating at the top of it which was off as days have progressed he’s gone from okay to the point that I can’t look at his tank without crying. He won’t eat he’s floating on his head or on his back and sometimes wedges himself in between the filter and the glass.

I did a 50% water change cause my mom told me she had not once done one since getting him and from having beta fish I have the siphon so I did it and treated the water with the axolotl/freshwater conditioner we got with him but he still is floating on His back. it looks as if he has a lump in his side after learning more about them I’m afraid he ate too much gravel (even though it’s the finest we could get) and it’s stuck :(
View attachment 84565View attachment 84566
I never wanted him but now I love him and want to do anything to keep him safe even if it means coming home every week to do water changes for him. I’ve attached multiple photos of him and his tank please help me I love him so much seeing his happy little face used to make my day💔View attachment 84567
Okay so he’s so much better and passing the gravel and just normal poop
***I have never had an axolotl, never wanted one (now I love him more than anything very awesome creature) but now my mom has it and doesn’t care to do the research so now I’m left to keep him healthy and happy. I would NEVER buy or accept an animal without doing extensive research so please don’t get mad at me for not knowing anything I’m just trying to keep him alive.****

my mom recently (month ago) received an axolotl as a gift from her brother in law that owns a fish store, he set up a huge tank with beach sand substrate and he seemed to be happy walking around, eating normally (axolotl food we got with him), loved to watch TV with us.

Then all the sudden he started hiding in his cave but floating at the top of it which was off as days have progressed he’s gone from okay to the point that I can’t look at his tank without crying. He won’t eat he’s floating on his head or on his back and sometimes wedges himself in between the filter and the glass.

I did a 50% water change cause my mom told me she had not once done one since getting him and from having beta fish I have the siphon so I did it and treated the water with the axolotl/freshwater conditioner we got with him but he still is floating on His back. it looks as if he has a lump in his side after learning more about them I’m afraid he ate too much gravel (even though it’s the finest we could get) and it’s stuck :(
I never wanted him but now I love him and want to do anything to keep him safe even if it means coming home every week to do water changes for him. I’ve attached multiple photos of him and his tank please help me I love him so much seeing his happy little face used to make my day💔View attachment 84567
okay so he pooped a bunch today passes a lot of a sand and he looks back to normal, I did a water test today and the ammonia was 0ppm, nitrite was 0ppm and nitrate was 5-10ppm. The pH is still stuck at 8 going to be getting some live plants to help with that soon. when is it safe for me to put him back in his tank?

AlexisJG

Reaction score
Hi yes I actually did purchase that exact kit and have been using it to monitor the water, he seems to be feeling a lot better since fridging and I removed all the sand even though it is the finest sand the store had. I didnt know not to clean the tank just tried to remove as much sand as I could in water changes but he still isn’t back in the tank cause the pH is still pretty high and I don’t know how to get it lower.
As long as the PH is between 6.5-8 (axolotls like higher PH) and the ammonia and nitrites is 0 and you have some nitrates he should be fine I believe. I am not an expert but that is what I have figured from research and speaking with other Axolotl owners. Best of luck ♥️

Axolotlnewbie

Reaction score

IH OKAY SO HES SICK AGAIN ? Lol I came back from my house to find my mom had reintroduced him to his tank again and at first he was fine but now he’s doing the floating on the side again :/ I literally don’t know what to do anymore :(
539E490F-AFCD-430D-8FED-B6E8F4A3926E.jpeg86CED4A9-9FAC-4AE5-8D7D-FE7C7A56AAA4.jpeg

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
What is the temperature in the tank? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate levels? What do you feed?

We can help or I know several breeders in Ontario that rehab axolotls and rehome

AlexisJG

Reaction score
IH OKAY SO HES SICK AGAIN ? Lol I came back from my house to find my mom had reintroduced him to his tank again and at first he was fine but now he’s doing the floating on the side again :/ I literally don’t know what to do anymore :(
View attachment 84619View attachment 84620
The person who gave him to her as a pet should have well educated her beforehand, they aren’t a goldfish they require more care. It’s strange to me that someone would think to give a live animal as a gift especially without asking and educating beforehand. He should take him back and rehabilitate him and/or rehome him. If you really love him and want to keep him I highly suggest research and youtube and maybe either take him to where you live (if you can) or see if your mom wants to keep him (or not) and help her get educated. Frankiesaquatics has many many videos on axolotls and you can also find him on Instagram and he has helped me a lot. I wish the best for this little guy ♥️

Axolotlnewbie

Reaction score
What is the temperature in the tank? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate levels? What do you feed?

We can help or I know several breeders in Ontario that rehab axolotls and rehome
Temp is 63°F/16°C ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 5ppm feed him frozen bloodworms I don’t know what’s happening because he was doing so well again tubbed I’m so sad it’s back :(

Last edited:

Axolotlnewbie

Reaction score
The person who gave him to her as a pet should have well educated her beforehand, they aren’t a goldfish they require more care. It’s strange to me that someone would think to give a live animal as a gift especially without asking and educating beforehand. He should take him back and rehabilitate him and/or rehome him. If you really love him and want to keep him I highly suggest research and youtube and maybe either take him to where you live (if you can) or see if your mom wants to keep him (or not) and help her get educated. Frankiesaquatics has many many videos on axolotls and you can also find him on Instagram and he has helped me a lot. I wish the best for this little guy ♥
I know:/ I have tried to really learn everything I can about them and I’ve looked up everything and he was doing fine after tubbing in the fridge and now it’s back, he looks as if he has major trouble keeping him self at the bottom of his tank like his butt keeps floating up which I know is a sign of impaction but he passed a significant amount of stuff the day before yesterday so I don’t know what’s wrong :( ive watched as many yt videos as I can everyone’s saying to tub him which I have so I’m just at a loss maybe I’ll look and see if there’s an exotic vet around here who will see him, this is him this morning I can’t watch him struggle so much to stay in the ground so I’m going to set up a tub again and move him back to that5B7E8827-CE32-4F41-A165-768AA4C7D084.jpeg

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Temp is 63°F/16°C ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 5ppm feed him frozen bloodworms I don’t know what’s happening because he was doing so well again tubbed I’m so sad it’s back :(

bloodworm is not a good food its only 6-9% protein and they need 40-46%.

I'd recommend getting Repashy grub pie. Its high protein and fat and amazing for constipated prone axolotls which I think your little one is.
You can get the reptile or fish version. Many places carry the reptile version.

AlexisJG

Reaction score
I know:/ I have tried to really learn everything I can about them and I’ve looked up everything and he was doing fine after tubbing in the fridge and now it’s back, he looks as if he has major trouble keeping him self at the bottom of his tank like his butt keeps floating up which I know is a sign of impaction but he passed a significant amount of stuff the day before yesterday so I don’t know what’s wrong :( ive watched as many yt videos as I can everyone’s saying to tub him which I have so I’m just at a loss maybe I’ll look and see if there’s an exotic vet around here who will see him, this is him this morning I can’t watch him struggle so much to stay in the ground so I’m going to set up a tub again and move him back to thatView attachment 84624
Yes I would tub him until he gets some results or a visit to the doctor. Poor baby I hate it for him and y’all. I would take all decor/substrate out of the tank and get maybe a pbc pipe as a hide and add live plants and maybe even a bubbler. This can be a result of air bubbles as well and he may have improved in the fridge because he may have been able to release the air. I’m not sure, I am not an expert. Just trying to help as much as I can. I hope the best for y’all ♥️

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!