Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help me figure out what is wrong with Jean

kellinthegame

Reaction score
Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me. I moved apartments and brought my 1 year old Axolotl with me. At the old apartment he was fine. I have always treated the water with a stress coat and quick start. Tank is 10 gallon. I let the water filter through with the coat and quick start for the same length of time I always have. When we moved the temperature dropped about 6deg F. I know temperature change is generally not good, but his water temp was getting too warm in the old apt so I thought this would be ok. Last night when I put him in the tank he was fine, but today he is very lethargic. Has been in one spot all day, for about 10 hours. His gills and arms/legs are moving, and his coloring is normal. I have not tried to feed him today but he are bloodworms last night like normal. I am scared that the water I got from the tap (and then treated) maybe is harmful to him. Please let me know if anyone has any advice, I am scared for him. Photos of him currently and the treatments I use attached. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116

madcaplaughs

Reaction score
If your water is treated, you need to use a dechlorinator. API Stress Coat contains aloe vera which is toxic to axolotls. You also need to feed them a diet of earthworms and carnivore pellets.
What are your parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature)? They're largely ambush predators, so it's nots uncommon for them to sit in a single spot all day. I'd definitely suggest adding a hide large enough for the axolotl to fit inside of if you don't have one already, and a larger tank.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me. I moved apartments and brought my 1 year old Axolotl with me. At the old apartment he was fine. I have always treated the water with a stress coat and quick start. Tank is 10 gallon. I let the water filter through with the coat and quick start for the same length of time I always have. When we moved the temperature dropped about 6deg F. I know temperature change is generally not good, but his water temp was getting too warm in the old apt so I thought this would be ok. Last night when I put him in the tank he was fine, but today he is very lethargic. Has been in one spot all day, for about 10 hours. His gills and arms/legs are moving, and his coloring is normal. I have not tried to feed him today but he are bloodworms last night like normal. I am scared that the water I got from the tap (and then treated) maybe is harmful to him. Please let me know if anyone has any advice, I am scared for him. Photos of him currently and the treatments I use attached. Thank you in advance.
1) a 20 gallon tank is the bare minimum for an axolotl. 10 gallon tanks just do not offer the water volume necessary to maintain stable water chemistry.
2) The only water conditioner/dechlorinator I ever recommend for axolotls is Prime by Seachem. Aloe is a common ingredient in many products designed for fish and is harmful to axolotls.
3) Your water parameters are very important, especially since you have moved and, I'm assuming, drained the tank. Test your water parameters and let us know what readings you are getting.
4) Axolotls are very sensitive to changes in their environment so its not uncommon for them to seem a little "off" after a move like that. If he is eating, that is good. However, as madcaplaughs mentioned, bloodworms are not the optimal food for adult axolotls. Not only are they messy and can really throw your water chemistry for a loop, they just are just not the best nutrition-wise. Earthworms, specifically european nightcrawlers, are the best. Followed by soft carnivore sinking pellets. I also give repashy grub pie as an occasional treat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!