Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Please help me

hairdressica

Reaction score
Hello pals!
First time axie owner here. I'm worried that s/he's not comfortable/ stressed In hers/his new home
I bought Bowie on Thursday 13 and it is now Monday 17. S/He was not eating the food pellets I bought for the first few days. I managed to feed her/him 3 small worms last night and 4/5 today. So I figured it was just cause they were a fussy eater!

But I've noticed that s/he is "normally" INCREDIBLY active.
I was really worried because s/he kept on swimming back and forth in the tank and bumping his/her head into the walls before turning around. S/he seems to be swimming to the top and gulping air occasionally too. But seems to have no problem just sitting on the bottom of the tank so I don't think it's gas related.

However, today, The gills Have started to curl forward today after I fed him/her but the tail isn't curled. I also saw them regurgitating the worms about an hour after feeding- this is the same time the gills started curling. And now shes barely moving?

My pH level is measuring at 7.2 and temp is around 18-20celcius (I'm also struggling to lower it - eep)
Ammonia is at .50ppm
Nitrite and nitrate are reading at 0
I've partially changed the water 4 times since I got him/her. (water was changed just this afternoon)
It's still a little bit cloudy(but doesn't seem like it would be too much of an issue as it's a newly established tank)
I'm using API Stress Coat and Quick Start with all my water changes

I don't know if this behaviour is normal or if it's something to be concerned about as I've only had him/her a few days.

Is my tank to small? It's about 30x15ish
Is it too hot? Do I need a different filter? Why do they seem so incredibly restless?
Could it be from settling in and me adding a new element to the tank?(a tune to hide in)
How do you know what's normal behaviour?!
WHATS WRONG WITH MY LIL BABY

Please help!

(Sorry for post length!!)

Attachments

• 14694638_10154574561128077_353364317_n.jpg
    14694638_10154574561128077_353364317_n.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 275

Wildtiger

Reaction score
Hi i have had a beautiful tiger for almost 3 years. Recently he was left to long without food as i had trusted my x to feed him well i was away and he did not. My littld guy went from plump and happy healthy to a scrawny and like yours sorta disorented. I tryd to feed him and it was like he was to weak to and out if it to even feed. I left a few amphibian pellets and sml amount of blood worms in his water ( i use rain water as my guy is not from a pet store,after leting it sit 48 hours +) do not use tap water without treating it or letting it sit. For 48 hours. When i checked on him in tbe morning i have idea what he did, but he was back to normal. He needs to burrow make sure there is earth with the mos so be can submerge himself in the soil. These guys are tough and can endure alot. Check on him to make sure no whute bumps anywhere on his face/ body. Personally i never touch him with my bear hands they absorb thru there scin. I wear gloves. And handle him only when necessary. Not sure if this is helpful its just what i know.

auntiejude

Reaction score
First of all please get rid of that gravel before your axie eats it.
Secondly, do you understand cycling? If not get reading and learn about the nitrogen cycle and how to grow good bacteria in your tank. Your ammonia is too high, which may explain the curled gills.It could also be why he's regurgitating the worms.
Thirdly, axies like to explore so will often spend hours just swimming about. Change the decor every once in a while to keep them interested.

hairdressica

Reaction score
First of all please get rid of that gravel before your axie eats it.
Secondly, do you understand cycling? If not get reading and learn about the nitrogen cycle and how to grow good bacteria in your tank. Your ammonia is too high, which may explain the curled gills.It could also be why he's regurgitating the worms.
Thirdly, axies like to explore so will often spend hours just swimming about. Change the decor every once in a while to keep them interested.

When i bought Bowie, the womans explanation made him out to be just another fish - which i knew wasnt right, but i trusted what she said. i went to another store- one were the woman was SO MUCH MORE helpful and got me onto the right track.
I spend so many hours browsing this site (its so great) to get as much information as possible.
In terms of the gravel, i thought the size was too large to swallow, its why i left it in the tank?I asked at the pet shop, they said the size should be OK til it grows some more.
I thought of the sand, but im scared s/he'll inhale it? :confused:
Ive changed the water every single day since i got him/her. and ive read basics on cycling, but cant seem to find the normal ranges for all the tests. Im stumped as to what to do because i know those "ammonia down" products dont really do much for tanks, other than add in more chemicals.
The gills have seemed to of "decurled(?)" slightly since i posted this, could it be me messing around in the tank or the light changing too frequently?

Wysper

Reaction score
Sometimes mine will regurgitate worms when they get to greedy and eat to many at once. A lot of wiggling in your belly would make you spit them out too! :D

Your axie sounds like it probably swallowed some of that gravel.

And as already said, please please please remove that gravel ASAP. That looks to be the most dangerous thing for your baby right now.

Sand, while it can be inhaled easily, can be PASSED easily too. Would you rather accidentally swallow a marble or a baseball? Which do you think you would more easily pass through your body without harm?

hairdressica

Reaction score
Sometimes mine will regurgitate worms when they get to greedy and eat to many at once. A lot of wiggling in your belly would make you spit them out too! :D

Your axie sounds like it probably swallowed some of that gravel.

And as already said, please please please remove that gravel ASAP. That looks to be the most dangerous thing for your baby right now.

Sand, while it can be inhaled easily, can be PASSED easily too. Would you rather accidentally swallow a marble or a baseball? Which do you think you would more easily pass through your body without harm?

I had some suspicions Bowie was just being greedy with the worms:p:p -Checked for pebbles in the tail area - he looks OK :proud:
Ive taken out all the pebbles (leaving only a few LARGE river stones to hold down the "plant"
I also conducted a 75% water change(after taking him out of course - do you recommend taking out axies for water changes?) - Again adding the API Stress Coat and Quick Start - Everything in the tank is reading as before pH
, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites - all the same
REALLY stressing about those ammonia levels now - anything anyone can recommend???

The woman didnt tell me anything about cycling when i bought him:)violent:) - so ive been cycling with him in the tank and i feel awful - but have no where else i can put him

hairdressica

Reaction score
Bowie doesnt look too unsettled at the moment- his gills are looking alright and hes been moving a tiny bit since i put him back in his tank. Ill definitely keep an eye on the amount of worms he wants to eat!:rofl:

Just have to crack down on that ammonia somehow:confused::confused::confused:
Ideas?

Attachments

• 14625648_10154574968393077_160694731_o.jpg
    14625648_10154574968393077_160694731_o.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 227

Wysper

Reaction score
Question: How big is that "tank"??

It is way to small for an Axolotl. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 10 gallon for a youngster, and at least a 20 gallon long for an adult, minimum!

hairdressica

Reaction score
Question: How big is that "tank"??

It is way to small for an Axolotl. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 10 gallon for a youngster, and at least a 20 gallon long for an adult, minimum!

I know the tank is reaaaally small- I'm actually on the hunt for something a bit bigger
This is just a 20 litre (which I think is less than 10gallon)

As I said earlier- the woman in the first pet shop knew absolutely nothing, and the other told me I'd have to upgrade the tank soon, but not necessarily immediately
Have they all been telling me incorrect information ?

Holly12

Reaction score
I would upgrade now but do a fish less cycle. Keep the axie in what he's in until the new tank is fully cycled, (takes around 6-8 weeks.) You will have to do daily water changes in what he's in until the new tank cycles. (Google fish less cycling.)
Once cycled there should be 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and less than 20ppm Nitrates, (you can get away with 40ppm Nitrates if you have many live plants.) Use the liquid tests as the strips are inaccurate. You know it's cycled when you can add ammonia and within 24 hours the ammonia level reads 0ppm.

Dell

Reaction score
A couple of things I can think of off the top of my head and others have mentioned them but just to recap. It sounds like you are on the right track just a few things complied.

1. Get the liquid test kits, not the strips. API is a good brand.
2. While your tank is cycling, change as much water as you need to keep the ammonia,nitrates,nitrites down. Maybe even 100% water change a day. The beneficial bacteria that you need to complete the cycle will collect on your filter media - not the water itself. (research that if it sounds crazy)
3. Get a dechlorinator if you don't already have one, I know you have the 2 additives you mentioned but you need a specific dechlorinator. Prime is a great brand but there are 100's of different types.
4. You can ask the local fish store for some of there used filter media (sponge or floss) and put that into your filter - it will help jump start your cycle.

These are just my opinions but have worked well for me. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!