Please help! My tiger salamander looks bloated

Goldielox13

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m so worried. So since he’s become terrestrial, I never see him eat and there’s several worms hidden in his substrate, but I have yet to witness him eat, since he’s metamorphosed a couple months back. Maybe like once right after he initially transformed when his set up was semi aquatic, and it was bloodworms, but they were too small for his big snout to grab ahold of. But he looks huge and idk if it’s cause he borrows and eats the worms at night or if there’s an underlying issue. Idk I wanna cry cause idk what I’m doing wrong. Today he just looks huge, but I never see him eat. I think something internally is wrong. He comes out at night and I’ll catch him taking a dip in his water dish and knocking over his humidifier and whatnot but he stays buried 98% or the time. Occasionally pokes his lil head out from his burrow wood hide and when I mist it he starts to move his head but yeah can someone please tell me if he looks sick or bloated or am I’m freaking out for no reason. I will try to post better photos of him but he’s out right now and he normally doesn’t get too active til like 10pm and it’s only 8:51 and he was out when I got home so that’s early for him. Sorry I’m just trying to provide as much info as possible in case there’s so issue with him.

Attachments

• A7B18A02-F758-4AE7-AA82-6F3DA15E4CE0.jpeg
    A7B18A02-F758-4AE7-AA82-6F3DA15E4CE0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 418
  • C3AE669A-0D80-4E35-9C1E-2042CDAB7456.jpeg
    C3AE669A-0D80-4E35-9C1E-2042CDAB7456.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 135
  • CBC0E7C3-6BA0-44AD-A022-1DFED8759375.jpeg
    CBC0E7C3-6BA0-44AD-A022-1DFED8759375.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 151
  • F8848109-03DC-49BB-81A1-F171CB69B04D.jpeg
    F8848109-03DC-49BB-81A1-F171CB69B04D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 139
She is huge! Your right, she appears to be very bloated. Since they're nocturnal, maybe she's been eating while your asleep? Maybe remove the worms from the substrate and don’t feed her for a week. I’m guessing she’s had too many worms as they are very fattening. In a weeks time try a different food. Have you tried crickets? I've had my tiger for about three weeks now and she takes to crickets like a duck to water. Maybe give her a cricket. try feeding her with forceps. Buffy eats a cricket in the morning and one in the evening. I've tried mealworms, but she shies away from them. Buffy is putting on weight as well, I’m going to
cease feeding for a few days to see if there’s any changes to her profile.

Attachments

• 5CCBC8B8-13DB-42AF-A47B-6D7CD14D2082.jpeg
    5CCBC8B8-13DB-42AF-A47B-6D7CD14D2082.jpeg
    948.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Thank you for responding I have tried itty bitty crickets but I never noticed him eat them and I had a few drown in the old semi aquatic set up I had. I will try crickets again. I just don’t understand I’ve not seen him eat and last night I put very small mealworms 3 of them and 4 wax worms and they’re all still there this evening. I will dig around in the substrate to see if any red wigglers, red worms or night crawlers are still living in it. Now today he seems very sluggish. I know he’s not active usually til night but his eyes are staying shut even when I mist him, he opened them barely when I kept misting but idk maybe I disturbed his sleep? I’m just worried I probably should take him to a vet. Now I wonder if the sheet moss in his eco earth has anything to do with his behavior or bloat? I think I saw somewhere moss is no Bueno for them?! Is this true? I had a few pieces in around the three lilplants I have planted in his tank. I’m gonna take it out just in case. I will be so devastated if I caused him hurt or to become ill. I’m literally trying to contact my zoos vet to see if they have any insight on what may be going on. I hope he’s eaten but I hope he didn’t get substrate impaction. Let me know your thoughts. And anyone else for that matter! Thanks!

I've heard there are some mosses that are acidic. are you using cypress mulch at all? it's sold as a substrate for salamanders and frogs but as I understand now, it's unhealthy for our amphibs . Maybe remove all your substrate and introduce fresh potting soil as a substrate. Could your Tiger be starting his brumation period? Read up on brumation for tiger salamanders. I live in Northern Alberta, Canada and our amphibs in the wild will actually freeze solid during our harsh winter months. Mine will most likely go into brumation too, but she is kept at a comfortable 65 F. One thing comes to mind is take all food sources out of your enclosure and only feed her what she will consume in a 15 minute period every three of four days. I'm going to guess she has eaten too much and is just fat. So a combination of a brumation cycle and a lot of food may be what your little girl is going through. Keep us posted.

I've heard there are some mosses that are acidic. are you using cypress mulch at all? it's sold as a substrate for salamanders and frogs but as I understand now, it's unhealthy for our amphibs . Maybe remove all your substrate and introduce fresh potting soil as a substrate. Could your Tiger be starting his brumation period? Read up on brumation for tiger salamanders. I live in Northern Alberta, Canada and our amphibs in the wild will actually freeze solid during our harsh winter months. Mine will most likely go into brumation too, but she is kept at a comfortable 65 F. One thing comes to mind is take all food sources out of your enclosure and only feed her what she will consume in a 15 minute period every three of four days. I'm going to guess she has eaten too much and is just fat. So a combination of a brumation cycle and a lot of food may be what your little girl is going through. Keep us posted.
Is that like hibernation? Where they basically burrow and stay buried and don’t excavate themselves til it’s warm again? Haha well it’s still warm in Texas. I got my room permanently set at 69° because he was hatched in Colorado. Now today he seems just fine. I’m sorry I’m so paranoid I just want to make sure he lives his best life in captivity and I guess I’m a hypochondriac when it comes to my herps. Lol he’s been more active lately still won’t eat worms from my hand or in front of me. I’m sure the red wigglers are lost in the substrate again. I got some small crickets do I need to dust with any supplements? What’s your recommendation?

Is that like hibernation? Where they basically burrow and stay buried and don’t excavate themselves til it’s warm again? Haha well it’s still warm in Texas. I got my room permanently set at 69° because he was hatched in Colorado. Now today he seems just fine. I’m sorry I’m so paranoid I just want to make sure he lives his best life in captivity and I guess I’m a hypochondriac when it comes to my herps. Lol he’s been more active lately still won’t eat worms from my hand or in front of me. I’m sure the red wigglers are lost in the substrate again. I got some small crickets do I need to dust with any supplements? What’s your recommendation?
I’ve been told to “gut load” your crickets. Feed your crickets mashed carrot and leafy greens. This will in turn supplement your tiger with needed nutrients. Brumation as I understand it is like hibernation but I think body functions like heart rate almost cease. I’m no expert on this as I’m learning. Check with John Clair for his opinion on this subject.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back