Question: Please Help! Time sensitive !

AlejandroDaLotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so i'm getting ready to upgrade from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon before the spring so and I have a few questions.:confused::confused::confused:
1. Would it be safe to have a moss (Java or Marimo) carpet as the substrate?
2. Should i add duck weed to block off light from the top of the tank?
3. What type of drift wood and large river stones should i get or look into getting?
4. If i added in shrimp to eat algae and as food for my axie what type and how many?
5. I was thinking about having some guppies in the tank as well as a part of my axies diet, would it be best to breed them separately and just add in the fry to my axie tank or could i just have multiple breeding pairs in the axie tank?
6. Any tips for a worm farm?

I know it seems that i may not have done any research but please trust that i have done so i just get new owner anxieties.:eek::lame:
I am trying to add as many plants as i can so that i can try to up keep a small shrimp colony and also let my axolotl feel as if he/she is in a more natural habitat. Please any and all responses and suggestions will help me solidify plan for my tank set up and calm my nerves. :D

basilstorm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Only know the answer to a few, but I thought I'd answer what I could (I was in the same situation right before I got my first baby)!
1) I've never used java for a substrate but it should be fine. Just keep in mind it'll be hard to clean up mulm and to clean/trim in general
2) Duckweed could definitely block off some light, but it can also get jammed in a filter depending on what type of filter you have. It won't be a hazard to the axie's health, they seem to just spit it out if they eat it.
3) I actually had a bookmarked thread about the driftwood, here's the link: https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61432
Make sure none of the wood or river stones are sharp, just sand down any sharp edges. Also soak them before putting them in the aquarium. Slate stones are really good and they tend to look pretty nice. Basalt and schist and granite should also be okay.
4) I've never had shrimp in a tank either, but people on here seem to really like ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp. In labs, axolotls are fed brine shrimp so that would be fine too.

I'm not sure about 5 and 6, hopefully someone else can come help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest Taro Tea has joined the room.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Um can some one help mee
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls