Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Please Help! Time sensitive !

AlejandroDaLotl

Reaction score
Okay so i'm getting ready to upgrade from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon before the spring so and I have a few questions.:confused::confused::confused:
1. Would it be safe to have a moss (Java or Marimo) carpet as the substrate?
2. Should i add duck weed to block off light from the top of the tank?
3. What type of drift wood and large river stones should i get or look into getting?
4. If i added in shrimp to eat algae and as food for my axie what type and how many?
5. I was thinking about having some guppies in the tank as well as a part of my axies diet, would it be best to breed them separately and just add in the fry to my axie tank or could i just have multiple breeding pairs in the axie tank?
6. Any tips for a worm farm?

I know it seems that i may not have done any research but please trust that i have done so i just get new owner anxieties.:eek::lame:
I am trying to add as many plants as i can so that i can try to up keep a small shrimp colony and also let my axolotl feel as if he/she is in a more natural habitat. Please any and all responses and suggestions will help me solidify plan for my tank set up and calm my nerves. :D

basilstorm

Reaction score
Only know the answer to a few, but I thought I'd answer what I could (I was in the same situation right before I got my first baby)!
1) I've never used java for a substrate but it should be fine. Just keep in mind it'll be hard to clean up mulm and to clean/trim in general
2) Duckweed could definitely block off some light, but it can also get jammed in a filter depending on what type of filter you have. It won't be a hazard to the axie's health, they seem to just spit it out if they eat it.
3) I actually had a bookmarked thread about the driftwood, here's the link: https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61432
Make sure none of the wood or river stones are sharp, just sand down any sharp edges. Also soak them before putting them in the aquarium. Slate stones are really good and they tend to look pretty nice. Basalt and schist and granite should also be okay.
4) I've never had shrimp in a tank either, but people on here seem to really like ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp. In labs, axolotls are fed brine shrimp so that would be fine too.

I'm not sure about 5 and 6, hopefully someone else can come help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1