Please help

Lotlmomof2

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 7 yr old Axolotl who I think is impacted. She hasn't eaten or pooped in two weeks. I have no aquatic vet within 250 miles of me . I have her tubbed and have had her tubbed for two weeks. Please help šŸ˜­

what food is/was she eating? what food have you tried?
what was the water parameters in the tank when she became ill? if possible.
are there any other symptoms apart from lack of appetite ie.. swelling, floating, gill loss etc..
what chemicals, minerals, treatments have you tried or are using?
what temperature is she being kept at?
can you post a picture if possible.

what food is/was she eating? what food have you tried?
what was the water parameters in the tank when she became ill? if possible.
are there any other symptoms apart from lack of appetite ie.. swelling, floating, gill loss etc..
what chemicals, minerals, treatments have you tried or are using?
what temperature is she being kept at?
can you post a picture if possible.
She eats nightcrawlers. I've tried salmon the last two days. She refuses . pH 7.6
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20.
She's kept at about 65 degrees. No other signs of illness. She's starting to get skinny (she's usually very fat)
I haven't tried any chemicals or minerals. I feel something hard by her cloaca but it's not swollen.

Attachments

• IMG20240301070604.jpg
    IMG20240301070604.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 41
I am a wreck , I want to help her so badly. I don't know what to do besides the fridge and I am so scared to hurt her šŸ’”

try to reduce the water temperature to between 59Ā°f-64Ā°f (59Ā°f being better).
use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate (if ingredients can't be sourced quickly use 2g/l non-iodised salt and 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate "epsom salts").
try feeding smaller prey ie.. bloodworm, brineshrimp, krill, mysis etc.. feed at night change water in morning.
holtfreters info ... Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

try to reduce the water temperature to between 59Ā°f-64Ā°f (59Ā°f being better).
use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate (if ingredients can't be sourced quickly use 2g/l non-iodised salt and 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate "epsom salts").
try feeding smaller prey ie.. bloodworm, brineshrimp, krill, mysis etc.. feed at night change water in morning.
holtfreters info ... Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
What is holfreters? Should I fridge her ? She won't have anything to do with food at all. I tried blood worms also and she just walks away from it.

Never heard of Holfreters ( USA) and how long do I do the salt solution for ? She's tubbed .

holtfreters is a solution that helps correct the waters chemistry making it more suitable for axolotls, it also helps prevent some issues that axolotls are prone to such as fungus etc..
unless it is last resort I wouldn't recommend fridging as the cold water can slow the metabolism too much causing organ issues.

holtfreters is a solution that helps correct the waters chemistry making it more suitable for axolotls, it also helps prevent some issues that axolotls are prone to such as fungus etc..
unless it is last resort I wouldn't recommend fridging as the cold water can slow the metabolism too much causing organ issues.
I don't believe we have holfreters here. Is there something else I can use ? Is it to encourage her to poop ? How do I know if it's a last resort? This has been two weeks like this . Can I use Epsom salt instead of Holfreters and if so how much and how long should she be in it ? Ty so much I am so scared

the salt can be used either until she is back in her tank or as a continual addition as a small amount of salt in beneficial.
when you feed her ie.. with blood worm etc.. leave food in tub overnight so she has a longer time to feed, change water in morning.

the salt can be used either until she is back in her tank or as a continual addition as a small amount of salt in beneficial.
when you feed her ie.. with blood worm etc.. leave food in tub overnight so she has a longer time to feed, change water in morning.
I don't understand how much salt to use . I have been leaving pieces of worms in her tub over night and she just doesn't eat them.

Can u please explain how to use this ? I don't understand it at all. 50% what ? Excuse my ignorance, I have no idea what u are talking about. I have sea salt and I have Epsom salt.

magnesium sulphate can have a laxative effect as well as providing a vital mineral, salt will help for general health.
if you have a measuring spoon 1.25ml of magnesium sulphate is 1.4g, dissolve into 1 litre of water then use between 70 ml - 140 ml solution per 1 litre tub water (70 ml is 0.1g/l 100 ml is 0.14g/l 140 ml is 0.2g/l, the level of magnesium sulphate can be increased from 0.1g/l to 0.2g/l if needed).
1 teaspoon fine salt will treat 3 litres tub water, 1 teaspoon course salt will treat 2 litres tub water (I put measurements for fine and course salts depending on what salt you have, make sure it is non iodised)

magnesium sulphate can have a laxative effect as well as providing a vital mineral, salt will help for general health.
if you have a measuring spoon 1.25ml of magnesium sulphate is 1.4g, dissolve into 1 litre of water then use between 70 ml - 140 ml solution per 1 litre tub water (70 ml is 0.1g/l 100 ml is 0.14g/l 140 ml is 0.2g/l, the level of magnesium sulphate can be increased from 0.1g/l to 0.2g/l if needed).
1 teaspoon fine salt will treat 3 litres tub water, 1 teaspoon course salt will treat 2 litres tub water (I put measurements for fine and course salts depending on what salt you have, make sure it is non iodised)
Thank you I will try that

Hello I did as you recommended ( after being called an animal abuser for doing so on Reddit) but it worked and she pooped. I'm hoping she has all of it out of her. She's still not eating but maybe she just needs to relax . I want to say I really appreciate the time you took to help me. It means so much to have someone care and not be mean. Thank you again šŸ˜Š

unfortunately anybody who knows what they are doing stays quite on reddit due to the toxic atmosphere, sometimes there is genuine help but it seems few and far between, it's a shame really.

Hello I did as you recommended ( after being called an animal abuser for doing so on Reddit) but it worked and she pooped. I'm hoping she has all of it out of her. She's still not eating but maybe she just needs to relax . I want to say I really appreciate the time you took to help me. It means so much to have someone care and not be mean. Thank you again šŸ˜Š
Reddit literally banned me from their axolotl section a while back for discussing Holtfreter's, even partial Holtfreter's solutions. This was after I even corrected a moderator who falsely claimed Hltfreter's was only used by universities to correct their "distilled water supplies" and that it's only used for the embryos. I showed them an article from, I think it was the University of Kentucky (I posted it in the thread I wrote about it), where the adults were given twice as great a Holtfreter's solution than the embryos they were keeping. Why is this? Because it works!

Reddit literally banned me from their axolotl section a while back for discussing Holtfreter's, even partial Holtfreter's solutions. This was after I even corrected a moderator who falsely claimed Hltfreter's was only used by universities to correct their "distilled water supplies" and that it's only used for the embryos. I showed them an article from, I think it was the University of Kentucky (I posted it in the thread I wrote about it), where the adults were given twice as great a Holtfreter's solution than the embryos they were keeping. Why is this? Because it works!
I also got banned from r/axolotls for mentioning holtfreters was told it was spreading misinformation, they seem to be more bothered about showing pictures of axolotls rather than helping people with some being quite hostile to people that are asking for help.
they received a lengthy response on the fact that they are only helping with treatment not prevention and that they are encouraging a toxic and bullying atmosphere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if youā€™re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isnā€™t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back