Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pletho-Mania

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Here are some decent pictures of various Plethodons. I'd have to say that lungless Salamanders are gorgeous in every way. Such a big Genus with a lot of variety its hard to have favorites. Its hard to admit but here are some of my favorites. P. cylindraceus/Slimy Salamander, P. jordani/Red Cheek Salamander, P. shermani/Red Leg Salamander, and P. montanus/Grey Cheek Salamander. Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_6690.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6690.JPGuse.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_6677.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6677.JPGuse.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_6639.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPGuse.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_6660.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6660.JPGuse.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_6628.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6628.JPGuse.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_6624.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6624.JPGuse.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_6673.JPG
    IMG_6673.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_6666.JPG
    IMG_6666.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 466

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
You should have put a warning at the top 'WARNING-INTRODUCING NUKE' lmao... Being such an adept of Plethodons like I am and seeing this, really makes me greener than chlorophyll it self, Guess ill be so green these next days that will eventually do photosynthesis when i go out lolz:frog:

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
You should have put a warning at the top 'WARNING-INTRODUCING NUKE' lmao... Being such an adept of Plethodons like I am and seeing this, really makes me greener than chlorophyll it self, Guess ill be so green these next days that will eventually do photosynthesis when i go out lolz:frog:

Well maybe you should of stood in the sunlight while you read the post! It'll maybe feel good to sprout a new limb or drop a seed eh? I think people will be able to enjoy Plethodons more or give them more respect if they saw more of them. I used to overlook this Genus but I don't anymore. I used to herp with the intention of only finding Necturus or Ambystoma. Now its a different story.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Glad you changed... They are surely natures biggest gift. They're superb salamanders... Nothing to do with most others on the hobby. In fact Pleths are drawing so much attention from me that in future I guess I will not be in Caudata hobby.... rather in Plethodon hobby!! HaHaHa:p

jaster

Reaction score
It makes me happy to see this post. I have loved this genus ever since I can remember, and now I live in the heart of it. Seeing these salamanders is an every night or day trip of herping for me. Glad to see someone else shares a passion for them too.

jth

Reaction score
Very nice video and really cool animals! Are you keeping all these species yourself? As a danish herper, I have some kind of fetisch for salamanders and newts of the US and I really envy you guys in having such a diverse amphibian fauna! ;)

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Very nice video and really cool animals! Are you keeping all these species yourself? As a danish herper, I have some kind of fetisch for salamanders and newts of the US and I really envy you guys in having such a diverse amphibian fauna! ;)

All the animals in the video are all mine. Pleths have a lot of personality and some are very rewarding pets.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
I think my next addition will be some Pleths, probably some Red-Backs. I love natives because you can educate folks about them as well as enjoy their companionship.

I'd love to set up a little North Shore/Lake Superior moist cliffside habitat, with some granite, moss, cliff brake and a drip system. They are such lovely little buggers!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I think my next addition will be some Pleths, probably some Red-Backs. I love natives because you can educate folks about them as well as enjoy their companionship.

I'd love to set up a little North Shore/Lake Superior moist cliffside habitat, with some granite, moss, cliff brake and a drip system. They are such lovely little buggers!

Educating folks is a great crusade but sometimes hard. I always find myself trying to educate a non-caudate oriented person and feeling vain. But its worth trying! I'll never stop.

Redbacks are cool for sure. Around here they're urban but mostly found in the woods obviously. Maybe the most prevalent Salamander in MI besides Blue Spotteds.

FrogEyes

Reaction score

I did this with Plethodon idahoensis,modeling the terrarium after their seepage/waterfall habitats near Revelstoke British Columbia. The main problem is that the terrarium doesn't fit in the fridge, and over the long term they don't do great at room temperature. The cliffs may be baking under the August sun with 35C air temperature, but the water itself is no more than 8C. The second problem is that the drainage tile has gradually clogged, and I slow lose the water through the air vents into a drip tray until it's nearly dry. Meanwhile, the salamanders live in a box in the fridge :p

The terrarium itself is a 12x18x12 Exo Terra which someone had put a false bottom, some foam background, and a rain system in. I elaborated on the foam, embedding some schist from Revelstoke, then coating exposed foam with black silicone and a blend of black and white sands. I covered up much of the floor grate with screening to prevent animals getting through, but not water, and then covered the floor with small pieces of schist. Rounding it out, I used some moss and maidenhair fern from the area as well. I disconnected the rain tubes, and replaced them with two small nozzles, producing a small steady stream down the back between the rocks.

Terrarium before growing in [Plethodon visible top middle]
YoY salamander in waterfall spray zone on schist, near Revelstoke
Waterfall and spray zone near Revelstoke
Red phase Couer D'Alene salamander, on schist, near Revelstoke
Fern near Revelstoke, used in terrarium

Attachments

• PICT1821.jpg
    PICT1821.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 424
  • PICT4207.jpg
    PICT4207.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 420
  • PICT4210.jpg
    PICT4210.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Pict0597.jpg
    Pict0597.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 353
  • PICT4211.jpg
    PICT4211.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 391

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
I'd like to put the drip system actually IN the rock, along crevices that mimic the drainage along the granite/basalt cliffs. I don't think it would be too hard when setting the stone into some silicone. I'd like to keep a very small amount of water dripping at all times, with heavier flows on occasion. I really like the idea of mimicking their habitat.

My idea is a little complicated, with a half-active 'stream' at the bottom that would catch the flow of water and filter it out. It'll be a fun project. I'm not going to make a huge system, since I'd actually like to take this little unit to show folks the species and environment. Just a little piece of the Arrowhead Region.

Aneides

Reaction score
Nice idahoensis! The cage looks like an awesome setup. I'm sure your sals will do great. I try and do the same thing with my Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica. Modeling the natural setting is always a good tactic.

Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!