Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pleurodeles Waltl Eggs

R

rob

Well, this morning my tank is filled with eggs. Hundreds of them. I'm so excited...my first captive breeding!
happy.gif

Rob

J

jennifer

Congratulations, newt-dad!
happy.gif
Are you going to raise some of them?

R

rob

Thank you Jen and John.

I'm excited because it's my first time. I intend to try and raise some, and I am going to place an add for eggs on the ad section for anyone else who'd like some.

Populate the world? Hell...take over. I mean it's like my agenda:
A) Breed newts and sals in mass numbers.
B) Conquer the world.
C) Have lunch.

I have a busy day today! LOL

Thanks for the encouragment guys. I'm sure this must be common place to you all now, but I'm very pumped about it. Hopefully it all goes well!

Rob

R

rob

Hey all,

one week in, a couple dozen that went bad, but the rest are doing great. You can see the tail, head and yolk in each egg already....faster then I thought!

Rob

R

rob

Well....some have hatched today after a little more then 7 days. THey look very close to the way all the others in their eggs look so I'm guessing the rest will start hatching this weekend.

That was fast...

J

jennifer

That WAS fast! How many are you raising? Populating the world with newts sounds great (LOL), but it's going to be tough. The problem with larvae is that, while it's easy to keep 100 newly-hatched ones, as they grow it gets more and more risky for overcrowding. Figure on about 1-2 gallons of tank/tub space per larva, with at least a 25% water change per day. You will need lots of tanks or tubs, and the capacity to produce many gallons per day of aged water. Good luck!

R

rob

I'm very shocked at the speed.

As for how many I'm raising...I never ended up giving away any eggs..I had one person interested and was going to send them next week sometime. I'm unsure if sending larva is a good idea now though.

I'm going to see how many hatch.

I have the ten gallon tank they're in plus 3 empty ones that I can use to clean water and/or raise them in.

I use a small spounge filter though, so is 25% per day still required? I was planning on 10% or so every day.

They're so tiny...

Thanks for the info. I may end up raising about 10-20 in one or two tanks after I see how many of the little ones survive the next few days as well.

U

(unregistered

Mes pleurodéles s'accouplent toute la journée mais ne pondent pas. Pourquoi ? PS : Y a t il des francophones sur ce forum ? JB

My pleurodéles is coupled all the day but do not lay. Why? PS: Are there French-speaking people on this forum? JB

E

eric

Salut JB

Mon nom est Eric et je suis francophone (Montréal)
Je participe régulièrement à ce forum
Regarde dans la section «Wanted in the UK» «Triturus species wanted» et tu en apprendras davantage sur moi et mes projets avec Paul ou Rob.
Pour ce qui est de tes pleurodeles, il peut y avoir de longs délais entre l'accouplement et la ponte. De plus la qualité de l'eau peut être fondamentale pour ne pas tuer le sperme du mâle. Il semblerait que même une température de l'eau trop élevée peut avoir des effets négatifs sur le sperme!!!!
Pour être honnête avec toi, j'ai eu par le passé des centaines d'oeufs de Pleurodéles sans faire d'effort particulier, mais je n'ai pas tenté d'élever les larves faute d'espace et de ressource suffisante à cette époque.
N'oublie pas que si la femelle ne mange pas ses oeufs, les autres le feront avec un zèle étonnant...
Bonne chance
Au plaisir de discuter de nouveau ensemble
Eric

N.B. Oups!!! I know it's an english forum
Sorry Guys, I won't do it again...

J

jennifer

Rob,
The sponge filter is great, but you still need to monitor ammonia. And be sure to rinse the sponge out every day or so. The problems with water quality won't start until (1) leftover food decays, or (2) the larvae get big and are eating a ton. The more water changes, the better, but you might not need 25% every day (at least not for while yet...)

S

steve

Bonjour Eric et JB

I'm des Etats-Unis sont n'importe lequel de vous des types partageant oeufs pour mon multiplication projet? J'ai un importateur américain ainsi il sera légal.

email je Steve
webmaster@wtc1993.com

E

eric

Hi Steve
I drop you a E-Mail on November 22 (00:37) but it looks like it never reachs you!!!!
What I have to say to you are the following things.
Your will to breed newts on a large basis is very interesting.
But, in fact, I really want to do the same in my own basement!!!!
OK, I own Mandarin Newts and Cynops but only for pleasure because this spring I will concentrate on Vittatus, Karelinii and Vulgaris (and maybe other european newts) as soon as they become available in number in my favorite pet shops (I have already 10 Karelinii hibernating)
At this moment, I will probably drop my chinese newts to make more room to my triturus
So, as far as I am concerned, I don't want to put more time, energy and $$$ in chinese newts but if you're interested in them, they are available in large numer in Montreal on a regular basis.
What's in stock in Montréal now?
-Last week, I have seen at Reptile Amazone the following species:
-Tiger and Marbled salamanders at 50-60CND$
-3-line salamander (don't know the official name)
-At Reptile Dépôt, some paramesotriton (don't ask me what subspecies???)in stock at +/- 20CND$
At Wal Mart, tons of small (2-3 inches) Cynops (Pyrrhogaster or Orientalis???) at less than 3CND$ each!!!! (That's one of the reason I don't want to breed them)
-Finally, at Centre Nature, around 50 Mandarin Newts were in stock last month at 20 CND$ each (many were very dark, almost all black instead of black and orange???)
That's all for now, but early winter is not the best time of the year for amphibians in Québec.....
If you're still interested in those species, let me know. But the major problem now is the freezing temperature in Montreal (to cold for shipping) and how to cross the CND-US border.
A bientôt
Eric
N.B. I can give you the phone number of Reptile Amazone and Reptile Depôt if you want to discuss price and availability with the staff (they speak english....)

R

rob

Hey All,

I awoke this morning to find even MORE eggs in my P. waltl tank. THe count must be over 300 in total right now...which I beleive is pretty good for a first time breeder.

Anyone who wants some let me know asap.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
How're those eggs doing?
Pls give us a progress report!
I'm keeping mine in 30cmx15cmx15cm plastic containers rather than tanks for ease of cleaning, viewing, shifting around, etc.
Also, I only change the water every 4-5 days, but I'm using cartridge filters containing charcoal that are changed every two weeks.
I have some 400 or so larvae now that started hatching after only 4 days. Almost no fatalities so far (even after 2 weeks) so I must be doing something right this time 'round! The cool weather also helps.
They're still on brine shrimp though they're looking like they might soon be ready to handle small tubifex. Did you say you've got your's on daphnia now?
Would be interesting to compare their rate of growth since they arrived around the same time!
Cheers
Tim

TJ

Reaction score
This is one of the 3 containers, and as you can see, the little monsters are already overcrowded, having quickly grown in size. I'll be switching to 6 containers in a couple of days...
Tim

1797.jpg

R

rob

Hey Tim,

They look very close to the same size as mine. Currently I've been feeding them vinegar eels, microworms and daphnia. They're looking really good and it's hard to get a good count of how many I have. I think you have a lot more then I do though. The second batch of eggs she laid hasn't hatched yet, but I'm leaving those in the tank with the parents...too many to take care of.

I've also culled a few spinners and such, plus a few of the weaker ones have die. Overal...I'd guess out of 200 eggs, a few dozen were duds, culled and lost a few...probably about 50-75 left. The second batch isn't included.

I'm going to concentrate on about 30 or so of the remaining ones, so I'll be culling off any smaller ones over the next few days.

They're in a ten gallon tank with one snail, an air pump spongue filter, and turkey baster cleanings of the bottom every day (before I feed them).

So far, they all look great. They're about 2cm in length and perhaps about 5mm in diameter now.

Hope all is well on your front.

TJ

Reaction score
Sounds great Rob. And what a menu! Vinegar eels?! That's a new one on me. The only foods I have ready access to here are live brine shrimp (I'm hatching my own of course), frozen bloodworm and live tubifex. I am going to have to learn how work with worm cultures and raise daphnia, etc.

I haven't done any culling (can't!), which is why I still have a few runt Iberian juvies from previous litters that nobody would want. I'm sure my huge Oscar would be only too happy to help with any culling I might decide to do in the future though.
biggrin.gif

R

rob

If they're too big your oscar may get their ribs popping out and injuring him...so I wouldn't do it with any that are too large. Oscar's are great fish though...I used to have a pair for years.

Culturing the different worms is really easy, and so far the daphnia hasn't been hard either. Do you babies eat the frozen bloodworms? I haven't tried yet.

I noticed they all ahve a small set of legs now, not sure when those developed since they're very short and white, so very easily missed (the look like part of the gill most times unless you get a good angle from their belly up).

Hope yours are coming along well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!