Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pointers for field herping in Kentucky

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As it's bad herp ettiquiette, I won't ask for exact places for finding Kentucky sals, but it's time for a weekend herping vacation and Kentucky was where the dart fell. I would be interested in some general pointers for finding some species, such as cave species or hellbenders, obviously not for exploitation, but for a little 'modelling' and release.

Private messages are also fine. Thanks guys.

jelkins

Reaction score
Pointers

Kasie,

The Red River Gorge is loaded with many species of salamanders...It is the salamander capital of KY so-to-speak.

That would be my recomendation as a native Kentuckian.

Also the geology can't be beat.

Justin

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Justin, much appreciated. The trip is on the 25th, and we'd settled on Red River Gorge (based on advice from the Kentucky Herp Society). Now, I just hope it rains the whole time! (only a herpetologist would wish for rain on vacation...)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Please refrain from posting locations - read the Locality Information Policy. If you wish to give someone specific a location then please contact them privately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1