Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Poll on amphibian feeding

What do you feed your adult (meaning not larvae anymore) amphibians?

• Only live food

Votes: 95 56.2%
  • Only artificial food (pellets, sticks,...)

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • More live than artificial food

Votes: 57 33.7%
  • More artificial than live food

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to post some polls concerning your feeding habits.

So here is the first question: What do you feed your adult (meaning not larvae anymore) amphibians?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use mainly live food and frozen bloodworms. I'm assuming that frozen worms are closer to live than to pellet food.

lims

Reaction score
fozen bloodworms

I wonder if they have a sell by date, I might check,, never used them for ages, but I keep them in the freezer, 'incase of emergency break plastic'

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I "forgot" frozen food. Frozen natural food should be included in live food (although not really live...)

cheddarsox

Reaction score
For me it varies greatly by the species. My aquatics, that hunt by scent as well as sight get more pellets, buy my terrestrials get more live. It also depends somewhat on the weather, as I do use wild caught insects, etc. We are in drought now and that has meant an over load of grasshoppers, but no earthworms or wood lice, and even the termites are getting hard to find.

MCampbell

Reaction score
I typically feed a mix of frozen bloodworms, frozen tubifex (really messy!), and a mix of live blackworms when I can get them as well as chopped up maggots and earthworms and the occasional waxworms. I've tried Phoenix worms a couple times with limited success for some reason which I thought odd since the newts would take the regular bait shop maggots but not the Phoenix worms which are simply a maggot of a different species of fly.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I think the survey is a little general. I could answer yes to each question. I feed my axolotls almost exclusively salmon pellets. I guess if I went by weight of food I'd have to say the majority of the food I use is pellet food. That would be a misleading answer. I feed salmon pellets, earthworms, blackworms, crickets, isopods, mealworms, waxworms, whiteworms, and fruit flies to my salamanders. I also have a Triturus dobrogicus that eats a few Louisiana crayfish now and then. The live foods I use most are earthworms and blackworms.

O.K. my favorite food is salmon pellets. No it isn't it is earthworms.

obicat

Reaction score
Live food, daphnia, bloodworm, etc. I have me frozen in the freezer in case I cant get livefood for any reason, and I have a tub of pellets I keep meaning to try, but havent actually been fed to anything yet.

esn

Reaction score
I'd like to know how Johnny makes pellets. That's ingenious. For me, I feed my ADF a mix pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and earthworm bits. For my axolotls, they're almost exclusively on earthworms with a rare cube of frozen bloodworms. If anyone would like to know, I feed wafers and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp to my fish as well.

AngieD

Reaction score
I used to feed the paddle-tails tetra fresh bloodworms/brine shrimp in jelly, but they weren't crazy about it and it made the water all cloudy and greasy looking,, so I switched to live bloodworms, which are cheaper and they like them a lot more

Last edited:

robinsonmatt43

Reaction score
Live food is always best; crickets are by far my golden standard when it's winter and I need to buy food from the pet store. I tend not to attempt to feed adults dead food, but in a pinch, you can take freshly dead insects and prod them gently to intice feeding.

Matt

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I try to feed mostly worms and defrosted fish slices. It just keeps the cost way down for keeping my animals. I go catfishing alot and collect worms and insects while I wait for the bell to ring, I also use fish eggs and their livers from the fish I catch as food.

peter5930

Reaction score
I raise worms in a couple of compost bins, and they make up the bulk of the diet of about half of my adult animals. The fire salamanders also get a lot of slugs crawling into their tanks. The axolotls in my ponds feed on daphnia by filtering water through their gill rakers, as well as snails and anything else they can catch, and I throw in some coarse fish pellets and worms from time to time. For the axolotls that I keep indoors, I feed them mostly with coarse fish pellets, with some supplemental earthworms.

Jake

Reaction score
I use mostly earthworms, frozen bloodworms, live blackworms and cockroaches.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Does feeding salamanders slugs expose them to lung flukes like it does in other animals? I always boil them before I feed them to my turtles and avoid feeding them to my salamanders.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I'd like to know how Johnny makes pellets. That's ingenious. For me, I feed my ADF a mix pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and earthworm bits. For my axolotls, they're almost exclusively on earthworms with a rare cube of frozen bloodworms. If anyone would like to know, I feed wafers and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp to my fish as well.

Just type the keywords "blender" and "massacre" and pellets in the search function.

I hope you have a strong stomach, even though I was nice enough to withhold pictures...

:eek:

emmyk

Reaction score
Axolotl pellets from eds fly meat and earthworms when I can get them:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!