Poll: species mixing

Do you mix species in your set-ups?

• Mix newts/salamanders with invertebrates (glass shrimp, snails...)

Votes: 204 40.0%
  • Mix newts/salamanders with fish

Votes: 122 23.9%
  • Mix newts/salamanders with other species of newts/salamander

Votes: 77 15.1%
  • Mix newts/salamanders with frogs/toads

Votes: 35 6.9%
  • Mix newts/salamanders with reptiles

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 220 43.1%

• Total voters
For instance, one could mix Dwarf Sirens with Dwarf Underwater Frogs
I find it interesting that your first post is a controversial one. Please, no trolling, thank you.

Only thing I have to add to this is that when I was a kid I kept an Eastern Newt with a Japanese firebelly. This was in the 90's long before this site when the only newt resource I had was a pet store book that had basic care things. I was also 8 years old and probably wouldn't have listened anyway. My experience was that they both did fine for quite some time. However, the Eastern Newt died after about 5 years of no apparent reason. I thought it could have been from old age at the time, but it is very possible it was from the stress of having a larger newt around all the time.

Maybe a good example of a mix where everything seemed fine, but animals died prematurely due to stress. I have not mixed since then, and probably won't.

I wasn't trolling, I was just stating my opinion, giving my two cents to the discussion. I was unable to vote in the poll for the reasons stated in my post.

One interesting note to add to this poll...

The captive breeding of the P. glutinosus at the Toledo Zoo has always occurred in a large mixed species exhibit, which (during one or more egg laying events) has contained P. ruber, A. aeneus, D. welteri, E. longicauda, E. lucifuga, and E. cirrigera. One clutch of eggs has been attended by the female to virtually full term now, with no problems from other species. Though this is a very large enclosure, it contains many large salamanders as well.

That being said it takes some planning to end up with a large enclosure where several species can coexist without dramatic conflicts. It has been a trial and error process for ~8 years in the previous exhibit. The new exhibit was built with all of those lessons learned and so far has been very successful.

-Tim

Just wondering, can Cynops ensicauda p. be housed with Cynops pyrrhogaster? Im not planning it but just wondering if both species were cb if they would fight, compete for food much, make each other stressed?

Tim, I think it would be helpful to tell people just how large that exhibit is - they probably have no idea.

The first rule, but the first one of the first that I learned when I started to devote to this hobby that was never on any protest should be mixed species.
Some do it successfully, but the aesthetics is not worth the risk!
Just think about what they do after already be too late!

I generally use dirt/ rocks from outside to house my guys, so things pop up randomly. Right now there are snails in my enclosures with water, and I have a few dusky species together with no problems the past few years.

i dont see any problem with mixing non-phibs with phibs. its mainly trans-continental mixing of amphibians that seems to cause problems. i'm not sure, but an invertebrate shouldn't be able to give an amphibian a disease. mixing works sometimes, but usually not, so why take the risk?jk

I used to keep a firebellied newt and a california newt together for about three until the firebellied died in a tragic filter accident. They got along fine and even rested right next to each other.
For about a year i kept my newts with a few species of fish in the livebearering family ( both were fine at room temperature water). They went along fine until recently the fish started bullying my newt (some baby fish were recently born and grew up in the tank, don't know if there is a relation there). Now I'm working on a new habitat while my newt while he stays in a temporary habitat.

Re: mixing..

Nope, I keep all my amphibians in single species tanks, My fish have the variety.

Re: mixing..

I keep four White Cloud minnows with my C. Orientalis, other than that I tend to avoid it.
He doesn't seem to mind.

i had juvenile wc c. orientalis with guppies, 1 ancitrus, 2 ampullaria snails and neocaridina denticulata together in one tank for over a year. all species were growing very fast. neocaridina and guppies were breeding like crazy. the temps were in range from 15 C to 18 C. even the ancitrus was growing faster the the one in tropical communal fish tank. the tank was heavily planted and the water chemistry perfect. the shrimp and ampularia taking care of all the left overs and even newt feces.

however would be hesitant to mix amphibians without having a large set up, i mean very large as some species co-exist in the nature anyway.

I voted for mixing with fish as I have kept C. Orientalis with White Cloud mountain minnows, however when they started aggressively swimming at the newt, I gave them to a colleague at work. The place where I got my newts from had C. orientalis, T. Marmoratus and Notos, all in one tank with goldfish. I bought 2 of the C. Orientalis and 1 Noto (the marbled newts looked on deaths door so I left them) I kept them seperately in a 14 litre tank each, however the Noto crawled out of the water on to the top of the filter and refused food till it died 2 weeks later. Like an idiot I went back to the shop and bought 2 more, but pretty much the same thing happened, despite me removing the filter, changing the water like mad, and keeping an eagle eye on them. I reckon it was, at least partially down to them being kept the way they were in the shop. My C. Orientalis are doing well though, I have to say.

I guess us aussies don't get much in terms of variety, but I have found red cherry shrimp are excellent as tank mates, along with guppies. The red cherry shrimp are a great cleaning crew, and the guppies pop out babies regularly enough to keep the axies happy (only two from my original nine adults have been eaten, and considering they appeared to be the elders of the colony, not too surprised they went to the tank in the sky...). As for other animals, pretty sure I wouldn't...especially the goldfish.

I do not mix my newts with anything but living food and some small snails that came in with the plants i guess :/

I keep my cfbn with an amano shrimp and a bamboo shrimp for over a year in the same tank. The pair of guppies i have left (they are so pretty I couldn't get rid of them.) move in and out due to indecision. They might get their own set up in my bio orb once i get my craft room set up or I'm trying to decide if they will be moving into the new enclosure for the newts instead.

I've kept several ghost/glass shrimp with my newts but they die rather quick.

As much as I'd want to I'd never mix salamander species.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I've got snails in every aquarium, except in my tank with axies. I can also recommend shrimps. In my opinion most of my tanks are doing better while there are snails/shrimps residing in it. I never mix species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back