Pond water for Newt larvae?

rebel

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
R3bel
Quick question

As i don't have much access to live food, would i be able to raise my larvae on local pond water locally? It's too small-ish ponds where people can go fishing.

Some people do this. Watch what you bring home, however. One damselfly larva will ruin your whole day.

I've done this by transplanting small amounts of water, Lemna trisulca, aquatic mosses, and netfulls of mainly daphnia and scuds. After screening for apparent leeches and other predators, this goes into rubbermaid tubs on the west side of the house, creating a home pond. Eggs and larvae can go into this, but a good screened lid is needed once transformation starts. A good growth of aquatic moss with algae sometimes will provide a "platform" for emergence. When mosquito wrigglers become apparent, I net as many as I can and feed them off to other newts in well-screened cages. Good food supply, but I prefer to keep potential sources of viruses and annoyance to a minimum, so feed before they emerge. I have used rainwater, which was fine where I was before, but could be risky elsewhere [ask Sludgemunkey].

I raised most of mine on pond water and critters. Just sort out the larger insect larva which could eat your newt babes :)

You will need a very fine brine shrimp net run it back and forth along the shore line careful not to stir up the bottom and dip it into a empty jar full of water. If your eyes are good you should be able to she the ponds micro life swimming around after the water settles Try different stretches of shore line to find were this life is gathering. As Otterwoman states watch out for any insect larvae. Do not dump this water directly into your tank. You will need to pour it through the net and just dip the net into the tank to release the food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back