Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

pond

strothrat53

Reaction score
photo of my 1000 gallon pond with a 3 tier water fall

Attachments

• DSCN0003_1.jpg
    DSCN0003_1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 4,972

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Yes very nice, I like the above ground idea. My backyard pond is in ground and small so I woldn't put anything in it (salamander wise that is). If you do put an aquatic salamander in you should probably stick to something that doesn't jump to high out of the water for obvious reasons. My mudpuppy (in a tank, not pond) can jump well over 3-4 inches out of the water so you would probably need to make sure that it would work.

But if you do end up putting caudates in I would recommend a lesser siren or mudpuppies (Necturus) I think these two because anything like a amphiuma or a greater siren would easily escape. You should also make sure that the pond doesn't get too warm.

What does everyone else think?

chris_dishmon

Reaction score
My mudpuppy (in a tank, not pond) can jump well over 3-4 inches out of the water so you would probably need to make sure that it would work.

But if you do end up putting caudates in I would recommend a lesser siren or mudpuppies (Necturus)

wtf? why would you tell him your mudpuppy can jump 4 inches outta the water and then recommend him one? that made no sense.

tritonfin

Reaction score
Well, I thougth about this idea and it would also need some wire netting to prevent of an eventual bird attack... :s
But it would also break the pond's beauty...

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it all above ground? Would it freeze in the winter? I'm asking because my property is all rock and you can't dig far, but I've toyed with the idea of a pond for a while.

Abrahm

Reaction score
That's a very nice pond you have there. I gather from your profile that you are keeping koi in this pond. Just a friendly reminder that this is a website dedicated to caudates and posts on other animals are usually discouraged (unless they are posts about anurans in their subforums.)

If you were considering it, I would not recommend putting any caudates into such a pond. There is too much of a risk from escape and the introduction of pathogens into your local environment. Some newts will obviously pose a danger to your koi and the koi could certainly injure most caudates they come across, especially if they have some size to them.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Chris- Well I recommended one because if the side was 2 or 4 inches abouve the water than a mudpuppy would be fine. Not if the water was closer to the top than that. No need for the "wtf":mad:

strothrat53

Reaction score
my pond is strictly for koi. have a 65 gallon bowfront aquarium with 2 golden, 1 black, 1 white and 1 wild colored. wouldnt think of putting them in there, besides not cold enough. about half the depth of the pond is under ground and probably total invested would be $600. i always tend to over filter my aquariums and my pond. also have a diamondback terrapin turtle from south carolina. havw a hollow fake log about 10 inches long in with the axolotls. waiting for 1 to climb half way straight up a hole in the log, will post if get the chance at 1 axolotls doing it again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!