Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Poo

C

carl

does anybody else have these problams i have a sand substrate in a 2 foot tank with a fluval 3 filter housing one axie but when he has a poo the filter doesent suck it up and the filter is powerful any ideas what i can do

L

leighton

Hi Carl,

I don't think our filter has ever sucked up solid faeces, nor do I think it's meant to. What I think you might need is an aquarium syphon or, easier to use, a turkey baster.

We use a turkey baster and just suck the lumps out with that, transferring to a container we're not ever going to drink out of again ;)

C

carl

thats what i have been doing but i was just wondering if there was an easier way thanxs for the fast reply

C

cynthia

Turkey baster is the easiest way I have found. I keep a baster and a gallon sized milk jug next to the tank because I have to use it on a daily basis.

If your filter did suck up the poo I think it would just make a mess in the water since it is an internal filter, or plug the filter up real quick like.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1