Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Portugese Fire Salamander

Damian2

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has kept these outside all year in the UK ?
I've heard they can be very hardy despite the literature saying they don't tolerate temps below 10C for long periods.
Thanks

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has kept these outside all year in the UK ?
I've heard they can be very hardy despite the literature saying they don't tolerate temps below 10C for long periods.
Thanks
In Northern Europe they can be kept like that but you need to provide subterranean refuges for them so they can get away from the cold and extreme heat. A lot of people accomplish this using buried pipes, or boxes with pipes leading to the surface. You can keep gallaica in very similar conditions to terrestris and you should t have any issues.

Damian2

Reaction score
In Northern Europe they can be kept like that but you need to provide subterranean refuges for them so they can get away from the cold and extreme heat. A lot of people accomplish this using buried pipes, or boxes with pipes leading to the surface. You can keep gallaica in very similar conditions to terrestris and you should t have any issues.
Excellent John thank you for replying.
I keep terrestris outside all year round. They easily survived a very cold winter last year with underground refuges and a good covering of leaves/leaf mould

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent John thank you for replying.
I keep terrestris outside all year round. They easily survived a very cold winter last year with underground refuges and a good covering of leaves/leaf mould
I would love to see some photos of your setups, particularly of the refuges and how you made them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1