Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible Bacterial Biofilm/ Hair Algae

Charlotl

Reaction score
First off, I do not have a camera capable of taking decent pictures so I cannot provide any at this time. Sorry about that. This is also my first aquarium.

I have had problems very similar to this post (slow filter and the stuff looks the same as the picture provided): http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/89668-white-algae.html.
Picture of stuff (mine does seem slightly stringier): http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13589&stc=1&d=1242787781

He reported it going away when he got a new filter so I am going to try that and hope it clears up. Just in case it doesn't work I want to have a plan B ready to knock this out quickly. Does anyone have any other ideas what it may be from the description (again sorry I cannot provide a picture)? Also how dangerous is it to my axolotl if it is a biofilm buildup? Could the buildup cause the conversion from nitrites to nitrates to quicken? Over the last week and a half 3 water tests have yielded nearly the same.
Am: 0.25
Ni:0
Na:between 20 and 40
pH: 7.4 to 7.8

snuggly time

Reaction score
Hehe that was my post from years ago..

It was in a tropical fish tank but I was worried my axolotl's would get it too.

Just keep doing regular water changes and make sure the filter is working correctly. Also reduce and light or sunlight in the tank, that may help. If you have substrate make sure it's not too deep. Keep us updated :)

Charlotl

Reaction score
Yes! It was a very helpful post (hopefully). I have replaced the filter and normally the only light the tank receives, besides what gets past cracks in the curtains, is from florescent room lights. The stuff is super heavy in the most shaded part of the tank anyway. Did you notice your fish acting any different when the stuff appeared?

snuggly time

Reaction score
My fish didn't seem to care to be honest. They just carried on as usual. However they're probably tougher in bad water conditions compared to axies.

Is this in an axolotl tank? I hope it's coping if so.

Charlotl

Reaction score
It is an axolotl tank. I threw in an extra filter I had laying around last night but the little guy didn't seem to like the current (forward gills and possibly slightly crinkled tail). I think that is his problem at least since the water conditions are normal... I took out the plants that were the most covered but its on all the rest at least a little. How long did it take for the stuff to go away?

DarbyDoll206

Reaction score
I'm having this same problem! I have a hob filter and 2 sponge filters running and they keep getting coated with this gunk! I clean and clean and it always comes back =( I dont want to buy new filter because I'm afraid it will keep coming and it be a waste of money, but is that what I should do? How do I do that without killing my cycle?

Kitan

Reaction score
Well as a suggestion, one thing you CAN do is modify your HOB filter. If you are not using a water conditioner with a slime coat in it or any form of amide (no Aqua Plus, Prime is totally okay), you can put a packet of purigen in the filter after the charcoal. This will keep your water super clear and virtually eliminate any bio film as it deals with your disolved organics. Additionally, you can recharge it, so you really only need two bags of it EVER.

Another thing that will help prevent algae is including Marimo moss balls in your tank :) They also provide a place for beneficial bacteria, while absorbing nitrates and producing oxygen. Just make sure they are a decent size so your 'lotl doesnt mistake them for food XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!