Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible coloring speculation?

ldweatherby

Reaction score
I am currently raising my first set of eggs and was curious about future coloring of the babies. Mother was a golden albino and dad was a leucistic. My eggs are about 8 days only and about half are looking albino. The other half are starting to look darker...like the attached picture.
Is it still too early to guess color? I couldn’t find a lot of information about what new born leucies look like. Could they be wilds? Thoughts?

F98A29D9-8979-4C86-BC61-5E4F161A3E91.jpeg

Acacia

Reaction score
Congratulations on the eggs! I'm leaning towards wildtype, but they still could be leucistics. If I recall correctly, what the leucistic gene does is prevent the spread of pigment past the dorsal and face area during development. That means in egg (at least for me) wilds and leucistics will look pretty similiar, but as time goes by, you'll see that leucistic babies will only have patches of pigment restricted to their head and dorsal line. Their sides will be "blank". Here's a picture of a leucistic 3 days before hatching, and one of them right after birth. Best of luck with your hatchlings! :)
cpx9lT2.jpg
MkbuZJR.jpg

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Yes its a bit early to be definitive on color.

That picture looks to be a wild type.

If the parents have no matching hets (carried genes) you will get all wild types.

I find the day before hatch I have a pretty good idea but larva have to develop their color as eggs color is determined by moms morph.

Distinguishing further can take weeks to months.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1