Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Possibly sick Tiger Larvae? Does anyone know?

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
The other day I was at a bait shop when I saw an adorable little waterdog. I decided to rescue him from being bait, and as luck would have it, I already had a unheated glassbottom tank set up! After I put him in, I noticed a few things about him. He has a few bite marks from being kept with others, including a missing gill. But what really concerns me is that he has a few white spots on his side and large black watt looking things on his neck. He seems happy and healthy, but I am still concerned. Can anyone tell me if I should be worried?

Attachments

• 65CD6FCF-58A1-4B6F-B495-D1046764B0DD.jpeg
    65CD6FCF-58A1-4B6F-B495-D1046764B0DD.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 42E307A1-F691-40C0-9B8E-98786AC6A696.jpg
    42E307A1-F691-40C0-9B8E-98786AC6A696.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 152

Nativenewt

Reaction score
Maybe fungus? Not sure because I have never kept waterdogs before, maybe a more experienced member can chime in.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
They are essentially the same as axolotls but they eventually go on land. And I’m no longer worried about those. They don’t seem to be bothering him and they don’t seem to be growing. But oddly enough, they are hard like fingernails. I found that out when I had to take him out to put him in a tea bath and he started jabbing me with the one on his chin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1