Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Post Minor House Fire Help

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Hey, we had a small fire in my house today, everyone is ok, all the pets are fine but we had to do some major work to protect everyone. I got all the ash out of my axolotl's tank, she had like, a light coating of it on the surface of her water. I scooped it out, did a 50% water change immediately, then set to work cooling her tank since the water shot up to 80 degrees. I gradually cooled it down since 9:30pm today to like, 66 degrees and I think that's the best I can do with what we have going on.

My questions are 1 ) will her cycle crash? Only a few flakes of the melted plastic and ash from the wall made it into her tank to begin with so I am hoping her cycle will remain ok.

2 ) I am thinking about relocating her to my room but there are two major issues. While my room is the hottest naturally because it faces the sun at all times, it has a good window AC. However, I have drawing lamps because I am an artist and the bright light will clearly upset my nocturnal friend. What can I do to mitigate that? I was thinking on making a curtain rod out of steel wire that I regularly use to sculpt with, and then well, putting a black curtain around her tank. Is that stupid? Would that just freak her out more?

I'm pretty freaked out overall given I literally came in the door from work to a fire and had to scoop my girl out and into her quarantine tub like, immediately. Just super worried about her now.

axie owner

Reaction score
i hope she is ok. i dont think this should effect your cycle in any way. hope you all recover well.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Thank you. She made it through the night and is now begging for worms so I guess she's ok. Maybe on my day off I'll take her filters out and ring them dry in her buckets just to see if any ash or soot comes out. We lost power for a bit when we intentionally turned off the electricity to that section of the house and thus, my axolotl's filters weren't running for like 20 minutes and when I realized, I noticed she had stuff all through her tank. Quite scary. There's ash everywhere, like, I mean everywhere. It somehow much it all up the stairs, it's on our toilet, a whole floor up. Didn't even realize the smoke traveled that fast.

I hope her cycle is ok. She's been doing real well lately, she cut her face a few weeks ago, totally healed up, same with her tail, totally healed up. I don't need this stress lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!