Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Potential fungal infection in tank, how to dose aquarium salt?

SamSupreme

Reaction score
Hello, first time using this site. a fungal infection popped up on both of my axolotls, I tubbed them for all of yesterday while wiping off the fungus with a Q tip since it was still early in its infection. I then learned that I can medicate both the axolotls and the tank itself by introducing aquarium salts into the tank, so they're both back in the tank for now. I'm still unsure how to dose the salts since axolotls are more sensitive to them than fresh water fish. how much salt should I use per gallon of the tank?
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Prixten

Reaction score
I do not think you are supposed to put salt in the whole tank. I believe you need to put salt in a different container and let them sit in there for about 10 minutes and then put them back into a container with changed fresh water.

Kitan

Reaction score
Noooooope. Dont salt bath IN the tank. They can only be in a salt bath for like 10\15 min, so that would require changing your whole tank XD You can do low salt, but that wont be very effective. Also if you have a fungal infection you need to completely decontaminate the thank and get the parameters back in check too or they will just get it again :(

Information on salt baths:
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96018#post408140
(includes a video)

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1