Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Potentially very sick young Axolotl? I am so clueless.

kai1006

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting here and my first Axolotl ever.
I have a very young Axolotl who seems to have suddenly gotten sick.
He's hardly moving and seems "stiff". I actually found him upside down when I first found him in the tank this afternoon, and though he was dead for real. But after taking him out into the small container he usually is fed blood worms in, I noticed that he had slowly twitched his body and would shift his head occasionally. He's not floating, and his mouth looks like it's open. Nothing else physically seems wrong or different. Yesterday I noticed him swimming more frantically then I've seen before, and gulping air frequently, making his rear end float. I was worried about it at first but upon looking more into it it seemed like he was doing it to have fun? He also eventually stopped and seemed normal.
I've only had him for about two weeks and I got him from someone I met who's Axolotls had too many babies. I don't really know how old he even is though, because I think the person I got it from /may/ have not been accurate, he hardly had his back feet poking out when I first got him, and he was probably just under an inch long. I had gotten most of my info about Axolotls I though was necessary from her though.
He lives in a ten gallon tank with a filter and oxygen bubbler and no substrate. He has three plants and a log to hide in also. There where a few times it seemed like the filter may have pushed him around a bit, but he never seemed to mind much. Prior to his arrival, his tank filtered tap water for about 2-3 weeks. We have well water.
I take him out every day to feed him bloodworms from a frozen cube with tweezers. I feed them to him in a small plastic container, and I also use it to scoop him out of the tank to feed him. He ate about every other day, I believe, and I would let him eat his fill for about 15 minutes. He usually seemed to lose interest before it though.
And now back to the problem. I am absolutely clueless, and I really do not want to lose him. With my research thus far, the only thing I can think of is that maybe he could have some type of poisoning from ammonium or another water chemical. I had not cleaned the tank since I got him, because I have a pretty good filter and I believe I was told that he would only need it every so often, like once every two weeks or so. I would test the water levels, but I don't believe I have any testing kits, and the Coronavirus is going to make it hard to be able to go out and get it. I'll attach a picture I got of him today. Any help would be appreciated greatly. I'll try to answer any questions I can.

Attachments

• 20200401_133151.jpg
    20200401_133151.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 296

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
I would say your tank isn't cycled properly and he has ammonia or nitrite poisoning. I think your only chance of saving it is by putting him in a different container with daily changed bottled water. Meanwhile order test kits for ammonia and nitrite from Ebay or an online petstore and research cycling an aquarium.
I'll be honest, he really doesn't look good, but Axolotls can sometimes bounce back from the brink if the problem is sorted quickly.

kai1006

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
I would say your tank isn't cycled properly and he has ammonia or nitrite poisoning. I think your only chance of saving it is by putting him in a different container with daily changed bottled water. Meanwhile order test kits for ammonia and nitrite from Ebay or an online petstore and research cycling an aquarium.
I'll be honest, he really doesn't look good, but Axolotls can sometimes bounce back from the brink if the problem is sorted quickly.
Ok, thank you so much, I'm moving him into a small container with fresh bottled water. I'll update you if anything new comes up.

kai1006

Reaction score
@Chinadog , do you have any other suggestions of what I could do for him? It put him into a new container and have been using fresh bottled water every day since, and weirdly enough nothing seems to have changed. He doesn't seem worse or better off.. He'll still shift his body or head if I tap the bottom of the container, and he just sits in the same place at the bottom all day. I'm not sure if I should attempt to feed him or anything else, any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20200403_094701.jpg
    20200403_094701.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and see what happens. Ammonia/Nitrite poisoning, if that's what it is, is can cause all kinds of serious symptoms eventually leading to brain damage, organ failure and death. If he does recover, it's going to take a while.
It might help to keep his container in the fridge, Axolotls can tolerate very low temperatures and it sometimes seems to help them recover. You could try feeding him once in a while, but don't let anything stay in the water long enough to pollute it. I can't promise anything though, I don't have any direct experience with cases like that, I'm just giving you my best shot.

kai1006

Reaction score
Hey! Figured I'd give an update cause it's been about a week, and I'm happy to say it seems like he's sprung back! I've found him swimming about his small tank and even got him to eat his blood worms today!! He started becoming more responsive about 2 days after I posted my last message and since then he's been improving! I think it's safe to say that I think he'll be ok. Thank you so much for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1