Power Consumtion of a 15w T8?

Here is a chart of how human eyes see the light emitted by ideal black body radiators depending on temperature in Kelvin...

Colour Temperature Chart

That is how the human eye interprets the the full spectrum, however if you look at a chart of intensity distribution over wavelength for the same light source you will find that the intensity can peak pretty much anywhere(there are several peaks..}, however the main part of the AUC tend to be in the blue to green yellowish range... Say 400 to 550nm.

This is the reason for the confusion, some ppl call the light yellowish green, some blue because some brands have large peaks at those wavelengths, the overall spectra should appear bluish white (to the human eye} in all cases though(6500K}.

Either way 6500K is a good plant light, it gives quite a lot of energy at 450nm which is one of chlorophylls absorption peaks.

A higher colour temp bulb(say 10000K} will generally emit a larger peak of light at say 450nm and less light at 550nm, that the only difference, i.e. a much more narrow spectrum.

Either way it might be a good idea to complement with a light source that emits at 650 to 700nm where the other clorophyll absorption peak is situated..

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back