Pregnant, swollen something..?

Kellybishop

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
A little help :) I don't know if she is carrying or over eating or full of gas or some this kind of worried what does this look like to you.:(
please say if you need different photo.

Attachments

• big axolotl 001.JPG
    big axolotl 001.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 5,983
Last edited:
Is she sharing her tank with another axolotl and how long have you had her?
I suspect that she may have been accidentally eating the small stones in her tank. I would recommend that you remove it as this size may lead to your axolotl becoming ' bunged' up with stones, this could be fatal.

The stones do look a bit small

How is she acting? Is she still eatting?

I hope she feels better soon, please keep us updated :)

Hi Kellybishop,

I agree with the rest that the stones could potentially cause an impaction. It is advised to have them removed, to prevent any future accidents.

However, based on the photo alone, I don't particularly suspect anything amiss. The rounded belly could mean anything from a matured female axie, to a particularly pudgey axie. Axies with impaction would tend to be rather ill and present with other clinical signs like going off food, floating and such.

Cheers.

Thank you.
I have watched her over the past 4 weeks and she is still very round. However I have taken her out of the tank with stones (still in a tank with four other axolotls):eek:
Her eating habits are still great, she never had a problem there :p and I have also come to the conclusion that I just have a ‘pudgy’ axolotl. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back